Using SQL Source Control projects in Azure Data Studio

Ref this article Using SQL Source Control projects in Azure Data Studio - Redgate Software (red-gate.com)

Using the method described here is a lot more painful than using the plugin in SSMS.
I often have several feature branches (4-5 atm) in which I have committed the changes. 
The plugin in SSMS handles this fine. It noticed that it is committed in another branch and does't offer the change up for comparison.

Do you have a working method for working with ADS instead of SSMS that offers the same features that the plugin does?
I no problem with committing and syncing using built in functionality in ADS, but not that it doesn't check for already committed work.

Answers

• Hi @mirving ,

Presently the experimental method you're referencing in the article is the only  way to use SQL Source Control in Azure Data Studio. Thank you very much for the feedback on it, it's incredibly useful for us to hear that.

I am interested in learning more about how you use feature branches in general, if you don't mind sharing: 
    • Are there times when you want to make a change in the database and commit this into more than one feature branch? If so, how do you currently go about this?
    • If I run through a scenario like you're describing -- add a table in my database and commit to BranchA, then switch to BranchB, SQL Source control will list the table in the 'Get latest' tab and essentially suggest 'undoing' the change in the database. Do you tend to use that?
    • Do you have other comments or feedback about your biggest pains or wishes for working with branches?
    Cheers,
    Kendra
  • mirvingmirving Posts: 3 New member
    edited January 27, 2021 10:52AM
    I try to make sure I keep the branches separated. So that I don't interdepend on each other.
    I guess one could work around that by cherry picking commits.

I so to say only use get latest when I see that someone else have worked on a part of the sql and commited it to master. Then I just pick the changes I need. I also so a get latest when I have cleaned up all my current commits I am working on to make sure my base is the same.

I really want to get the same features in ADS/VSCode that I have in SSMS regarding this component.
    It doesn't need to be very graphical. It can use features already build into vscode like the commits and comparison etc. But handle the parts between db and script folder is something I really would like to be there.

Michael
  • I don't have anything to add regarding branches but I agree that the workaround above (using SQL Compare external to ADS) is cumbersome.  If I'm working ADS, I want to be able to right-click get latest changes and/or update the repo folder from the database.  Is a plugin for SQL Source Control in ADS on the roadmap?

Randy Knight, MCM
    Founder and Principal Consultant
    SQL Solutions Group 
  • Hi @rknight ,

Thanks for chiming in. We don't presently have this on the roadmap for SQL Source Control.  

I would be very curious to know:
    • Are you already an Azure Data Studio User? If so, how much do you use it vs SSMS approximately? 
    • If SQL Source Control had a fast performing standalone tool that could work in tandem with either GUI, would this be of interest to you? 
    • If SQL Source Control offered the ability to be used via the command line in some ways, would that be of interest to you?

Thanks in advance,
    Kendra
  • HI Kendra,

We're on a bit of an Azure Data Studio kick lately.  A colleague and I are going to do our best to use it exclusively for the next 30 days, then do a webinar on our experience / SSMS vs. ADS.  So I am about to become a heavy user.  You probably know this but I seem to recall that SSC did a survey last year and it was at 15% or so?  

Ultimately all that is required is some sort of lightweight fast way to just do the compare part form SQL Source Control.  As you said above,  ADS is already integrated with source control systems so committing files is easy.  The missing piece is the comparison between the database and the scripts folder.  

Both the CLI and the lightweight / fast standalone tool would be of interest.  Or even an API so I could write the extension myself.  

Thanks,

Randy 
    Randy Knight, MCM
    Founder and Principal Consultant
    SQL Solutions Group