SQL Prompt Version 10.6.0.17688 Slow cursor move

I updated to the latest version of SQL Prompt this morning and ever since any cursor moves within SSMS (V17.9.1) using my arrow keys is horribly slow. Not happening in any other program, notepad, Visual Studio, etc. Anyone else seeing this same behavior? 

Best Answer

• alegend2ualegend2u Posts: 6 Bronze 3
    Just verified that it is SQL Prompt, turning off ranked suggestions made a marked improvement and putting automatically show suggestions after x milliseconds up to 1000, seemed to help a little. But turning off enable suggestions altogether and my cursor is back to normal speed. But that defeats the whole purpose of SQL Prompt. Will wait to see if anyone else chimes in and if not I will re-install an older version tomorrow, because this version is nuttier than a bag of squirrel poop.

Answers

• @alegend2u - It looks like they may have pulled the 10.6 update.  I got the update notification this morning, but I ignored it at the time.  Just now, I was going to update, but checking for updates now says there are no updates available and I'm on 10.5.
  • Yeah....I'm going to try and revert to the previous version. This very has serious issues and grinds everything to a halt.
  • I got the update prompt again this morning and updated - and you're both right - this version has performance issues.  I should have checked first, but the next oldest version on the old versions download page is 9.5, which is too far back.  Can anyone direct me how to downgrade back to 10.5.6.17542?
  • BogBog Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    I upgraded to 10.6 but I didn't notice any performance degradation so far.
  • If anyone else needs to downgrade, I found you can get the previous version here:

https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.5.6.17542.exe

I uninstalled 10.6, installed 10.5, and arrowing is back to normal speed.

@Bog The only performance issue I found is when arrowing through characters as @alegend2u said - in 10.6 the cursor goes about half the speed as in 10.5.
    Thanks for the details. I will keep an eye on it.
    You guys were right about the performance. I downgraded to 10.5.6 as well. Thanks, @DROP_TABLE_Students, for posting the downloading link .
  • I opened a ticket yesterday and received the details below this morning from support.

I do have some good news from the developers in that they were able to identity the issue with version 10.6 of SQL Prompt and are currently working on a fix as we speak. I'll keep this ticket on-hold in the meantime and will update you once that is released.
  • Thanks everyone for your due diligence in providing feedback. I did have to revert to a previous version myself. Going to be a little more cautious next time and ignore updates for a week or so before installing. 
  • BrianSicoBrianSico Posts: 1 New member
    Reverting to 10.5 brought immediate improvement.  I will be waiting for 10.7 at this point.
  • ostandageostandage Posts: 75 Silver 1
    edited February 4, 2021 2:36PM
    Hi everyone, 

We have just released SQL Prompt 10.6.1 which includes a fix for a performance issue introduced in 10.6.0. Please let us know if you experience problems once updated. 

Here's a link to the update:
    https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_10.6.1.17779.exe

Thanks, 

Owen
    Software Engineer
    SQL Prompt / SQL Search
  • So far, 10.6.1 seems to be working fine.  It does resolve the slow arrowing issue.

Thanks @ostandage.
  • HigginsHiggins Posts: 11 Bronze 2
    They came out with 10.6.2. There are still problems. I am unable to type anything with suggestions enabled. I could have 2 lines of SQL code typed on the keyboard before the screen finishes typing out the word "Select". I am on SSMS 18.8 on a Win 10 HP ZBook laptop with 32 GB of RAM. I reverted to 10.5 using the link posted in the thread above.
  • ogrishmanogrishman Posts: 81 Bronze 4
    Higgins said:
    They came out with 10.6.2. There are still problems. I am unable to type anything with suggestions enabled. I could have 2 lines of SQL code typed on the keyboard before the screen finishes typing out the word "Select". I am on SSMS 18.8 on a Win 10 HP ZBook laptop with 32 GB of RAM. I reverted to 10.5 using the link posted in the thread above.
    I tried the most recently version SQLPrompt_10.6.7.19129 as of today, but the issue still exists. SQLPrompt_10.5.6.17542 works fine here. Also note that SQLPrompt_10.5.6.17542 uses the old syntax of snippets and later versions use the new syntax and your snippets will automatically be converted to the new syntax. In that case, if you want to rollback, there is no easy way to convert the snippets to the old format. So keep a copy of your snippets before upgrade. 
    edited April 14, 2021 12:40PM
    Between my last post on this thread (Feb 22) and now I had a support ticket open with Red Gate. The support people learned that an issue exists in 10.6+ if your snippets reside on a network share or UNC path with high latency between your computer and the network location (think working from home via VPN). If you set your snippets folder to a local path on your computer like C:\MyFolder\RedGateSnippets then there is no issue with performance. To @ogrishman's point, I have observed the conversion of snippets from XML to JSON and their software creates a backup for you in the Snippet path so your "old format" XML snippets should be in a subfolder called "backup" of your snippet folder's path but as always it is best to create your own backup. Quote from my support ticket...

"I have spoken with our dev team about this. You have clearly highlighted a need for improvements around the performance of SQL Prompt v6 when referencing network shares, however unfortunately, given current workloads and overall impact of this issue, at this stage we cannot say when we will be able to address this. For the time being, as a workaround we suggest using a local folder for your snippets instead of a network drive with high latency when working from home over a VPN. Alternatively you could continue to use SQL Prompt 10.5 for now."
  • ogrishmanogrishman Posts: 81 Bronze 4
    Higgins said:
    Between my last post on this thread (Feb 22) and now I had a support ticket open with Red Gate. The support people learned that an issue exists in 10.6+ if your snippets reside on a network share or UNC path with high latency between your computer and the network location (think working from home via VPN). If you set your snippets folder to a local path on your computer like C:\MyFolder\RedGateSnippets then there is no issue with performance. To @ogrishman's point, I have observed the conversion of snippets from XML to JSON and their software creates a backup for you in the Snippet path so your "old format" XML snippets should be in a subfolder called "backup" of your snippet folder's path but as always it is best to create your own backup. Quote from my support ticket...

"I have spoken with our dev team about this. You have clearly highlighted a need for improvements around the performance of SQL Prompt v6 when referencing network shares, however unfortunately, given current workloads and overall impact of this issue, at this stage we cannot say when we will be able to address this. For the time being, as a workaround we suggest using a local folder for your snippets instead of a network drive with high latency when working from home over a VPN. Alternatively you could continue to use SQL Prompt 10.5 for now."
    I'm using the default snippet location and have the performance issue. In your case if you use a local folder as the snippets folder, do you have the performance issue?
    edited April 14, 2021 1:27PM
    I do not have a performance issue with a local path but I am also not running the latest version of SQL Prompt. I am on 10.6.5.18584. In a different forum post I saw someone mention an issue if SQL Prompt did not have write permissions on the folder. Do you have read and write permission on the folder where you store your snippets even though it is local?
    @ogrishman If memory serves the default location is within a windows user profile. Could you try moving it outside the C:\Users\MyProfile folder to something like C:\MyFolderOfChoice\Snippets?