Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

mall2rdmall2rd Posts: 3
When I attempt to compare the data in any two tables I get the following error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". I just downloaded and installed version 5.3.0.68. I have tried comparing several differnet pairs of tables using different server pairs.

Comments

• Hi,

Thanks for reporting the problem. Would you be able to post the table creation scripts for your tables so we can attempt to reproduce this in-house?

Thanks!

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • The structure for one of the tables I tried is below.

CREATE TABLE [Channels] (
    [ChannelID] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
    [ChannelName] [varchar] (50) COLLATE Compatibility_52_409_30003 NOT NULL ,
    [ChannelAlias] [varchar] (16) COLLATE Compatibility_52_409_30003 NOT NULL ,
    [CountryID] [int] NULL ,
    [LanguageID] [int] NULL ,
    [ApplyOnLineURL] [varchar] (255) COLLATE Compatibility_52_409_30003 NULL ,
    [Private] [tinyint] NULL ,
    [RootSite] [tinyint] NULL ,
    [ISOLocale] [varchar] (5) COLLATE Compatibility_52_409_30003 NULL ,
    [ParentChannelID] [int] NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Channels_ParentChannelID] DEFAULT (0),
    [AllowJobPostsToAllCompanyBoards] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__HChannels__Allow__6A669BCA] DEFAULT (1),
    [ResumeActionsArePrivate] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__HChannels__Resum__6B5AC003] DEFAULT (0),
    [ChannelAccessibility] [tinyint] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__HChannels__Chann__6C4EE43C] DEFAULT (1),
    [ChannelTypeID] [int] NULL ,
    [ChannelStatusID] [int] NULL ,
    [DateCreated] [smalldatetime] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__HChannels__DateC__6D430875] DEFAULT (getdate()),
    [DateModified] [smalldatetime] NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__HChannels__DateM__6E372CAE] DEFAULT (getdate()),
    [CHSReport] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Channels_CHSReport] DEFAULT (0),
    [MonthsUntilResumeExpiresOnChannel] [smallint] NULL ,
    CONSTRAINT [PK_Channels] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (
    [ChannelID]
    ) WITH FILLFACTOR = 90 ON [PRIMARY] ,
    CONSTRAINT [UQ_ChannelAlias] UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED
    (
    [ChannelAlias]
    ) WITH FILLFACTOR = 90 ON [PRIMARY]
    ) ON [PRIMARY]
    GO
  • I am getting a the same problem. :(
  • The issue here is that SQL Data Compare does not support the collation that you are using (Compatibility_52_409_30003).

A workaround is to change the collation on the offending column(s), either permanently, or temporarily using the syntax:

ALTER TABLE myTestTable ALTER COLUMN [myvarcharcol] VARCHAR(50) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL

Maddba, could you please confirm which collation you have on your column? There is a possibility that we can fix these if we find out which collations are being used that we aren't currently supporting. Unfortunately we haven't found a definitive list of all supported collations from Microsoft so a few have been omitted.

You can find out what collations are being used as follows:

SELECT name, collation FROM syscolumns WHERE [id]=object_id('myTestTable')

Please let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software