Smart Rename: Immediate unspecified error when invoked

Hi Folks,

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue with Smart Rename:
  1. Right click on an object in SSMS
  2. Select Smart Rename... from the context menu
  3. Error
I have reported this error using the in-built tool although have heard nothing from Redgate, hence this post.

SQL Prompt Version: 10.5.3.17209
SSMS Version: 18.8 (although the error occurred in 18.7, too)

I have sys-admin privileges on the server where this error is occurring.
~JR~

Answers

• Hi @JR_AUS

Thanks for your post.

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue oddly. Could you kindly confirm if you have SQL Compare installed on the same machine and its version number?

Did this issue start since you upgraded to 10.5.3.17209 or you had the same issue with the older version of SQL Prompt?

Thanks!

Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • JR_AUSJR_AUS Posts: 17 Bronze 1
    edited December 27, 2020 2:25AM
    Hi Tianjiao. Thanks for your response.
    Could you kindly confirm if you have SQL Compare installed on the same machine and its version number?
    No, I don't have SQL Compare installed on the machine. The only other plugin I have installed is Apex SQL Model [sorry ;) ].
    Did this issue start since you upgraded to 10.5.3.17209 or you had the same issue with the older version of SQL Prompt?
    No, I had the same issue with the previous version of SQL Prompt.

--Edit--
    I just uninstalled Apex SQL Model and the Apex Software Updater...the SQL Prompt Smart Rename feature now works.

Prior to purchasing SQL Prompt I was using a similar Apex product that included a rename feature - it's possible the two clashed.
    ~JR~
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thanks for finding that, @JR_AUS! :)

We have seen issues before when Apex tools reference different versions of the same third-party library (SSMS can only load one version). 

Unfortunately, when this happens the only option is to have one tool installed at a time.

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?