flyway community vs teams - sql server 12.0/2014

Did not see a flyway forum category...

I decided to explore flyway this week. Like many java apps on windows, the install and config was...tedious.  I finally got rid of the "no mssql-jdbc_auth-8.4.1.x64 in java.library.path: [C:\bin\flyway-commandline-7.3.1-windows-x64\flyway-7.3.1\\native]" error by downloading the MS jdbc driver for sql server and copying it to that folder.

Next error: "ERROR: Flyway Teams Edition or SQL Server upgrade required: SQL Server 2014 is no longer supported by Flyway Community Edition, but still supported by Flyway Teams Edition."

Poop.

So...we have 4 full SQL Toolbelt licenses.  Can I use the "Flyway Teams Edition" or do we need to drop $ for flyway Teams?  $3000 USD per year. eeeek.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Tianjiao_LiTianjiao_Li Posts: 684 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Peter,

Unfortunately, there is no way to turn it off. Database versions that are 5 years old or older require Teams edition, and cannot be used in Community edition.

Thanks.
    Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• Hi @PeterDanielsCRB

Thanks for your post!

Flyway is not included in SQL Toolbelt I'm afraid. We have two editions at the moment: Flyway Community edition and Flyway Teams edition. The difference between them can be found https://flywaydb.org/download 

Regarding the error you have got, it looks like you are trialing the community edition which has 5 years of guaranteed database support timeline hence the warning for SQL Server 2014. 

I hope this clarifies your question, but do let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Thank you, @Tianjiao_Li

Since the community version is free and (I assume) "unsupported", it seems odd that it would restrict the SQL version based on "5 years of guaranteed database support timeline".  Is there any way to turn off the warning/error in the Community edition or am I forced to use the Teams edition if I require a SQL 2014 target? 

Cheers,

-Peter
  • I will admit to a little disappointment. Would have loved to get a discount on "Teams" flyway...will follow-up with our sales folks.  Meanwhile, I'm using the dbops powershell module - it's free and provides a decent amount of similar functionality - super-simple, migrations-based, db change deployment.