SQL Refactor not working in Management Studio

CadeBryantCadeBryant Posts: 2
edited April 19, 2007 1:03PM in SQL Refactor Previous Versions
Since upgrading to SQL 2005 SP2, the SQL Refactor menu item is grayed out. I had read on another thread that this is resolved in the new beta. Can you provide me a link to this, please?

Comments

• Hi there,

I will PM you with the details shortly.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • I am having the same problem. I just got a new machine and it works fine on my old machine, but the new one has the menu grayed out.
  • SQL Refactor 1.1 is due to be formally released fairly shortly (a matter of hours I am told). An announcement will be posted on the forums with details of how you can obtain it and what it contains.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • SQL Refactor 1.1 has now been released.

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... php?t=4550

Enjoy :D

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • 032607refactor.jpg

I uninstalled the working 1.1 release, and installed the new 1.2 update. Now SQL Refactor displays it's menu in Management Studio, but none of the items work. The above message appears instead.

Help!

// Dave
  • Hi Dave,

Please can you confirm the versions of SQL Refactor you were upgrading between? Were you going between 1.1 Beta and the 1.1 Release?

Sorry, but the reason I am querying this is that we have not released a SQL Refactor 1.2 yet and the error that you have posted is most commonly seen when downgrading SQL Refactor to a previous version.

Could you please check the file details of the sqlrefactorsetup.exe file that you ran to install SQL Refactor?

The version number for the installer should be 1.10.0002

If you don't have this version, you can download it from: http://www.red-gate.com/Dynamic/Downloa ... qlrefactor

Sorry about the trouble the upgrade of SQL Refactor has caused you, hope this information helps.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • No worries, I'll check it in the morning.

Thanks! :)
  • When I tried uninstalling SQL Refactor it left the menu behind in SQL Server Management Studio.

I tried reinstalling with the version you linked, but I'm having the same problem. "Class not registered"

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
  • Hi Dave,

It looks like SQL Refactor's installer as got itself in a bit of a mess, can you:

- Uninstall SQL Refactor
    - Delete everything under the following registry key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EAD9E428-F0B0-417C-9624-BB7CB0EF2B9B}
    - This should reset everything used by the addin so the installer can work again.

Do you remember the sequence that you installed things, this will help us reproduce this issue here so we maybe able to resolve it for other users.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Here are the steps I've performed thus far:

1) Install SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2
    2) Discover SQL Refactor isn't working, install HotFix linked from this forum
    3) SQL Refactor works again
    4) Run Check for Updates, it discovers an updated version of SQL Refactor, install it
    5) SQL Server Management Studio reports the add-in couldn't be loaded.
    6) Uninstall SQL Refactor
    7) Download and install SQL Refactor from the latest post in this forum
    8) SSMS Reports same issue.
    9) Unstall SQL Refactor
    10) Remove registry key
    11) Check SSMS to ensure the product is completey gone. SQL Refactor menu still appears in SSMS though
    11) Reinstall SQL Refactor
    12) Same error appears

Hope this helps!

// Dave
  • Dave,

Okay, I have had a chat with one of my colleagues and he has suggested checking that there are no other SQL Refactor keys in the registry from the past installs that could be confusing where SSMS should be looking for the addin. The other registry locations you need to look in are:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{EAD9E428-F0B0-417C-9624-BB7CB0EF2B9B}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{EAD9E428-F0B0-417C-9624-BB7CB0EF2B9B}

If these keys exist, can you please remove them and reinstall.

Can I also check that you are using SQL Refactor as the same user that you installed it as?

Also are you using the same location each time?

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • I removed the registry keys, and reinstalled.

Same error though.

I install the same (default) location each time. I also install as the same user account each time.

Any other ideas?
  • Hi Dave,

Unfortunately we cannot reproduce that error here on our vista machines so we are running blind.

The best thing we can suggest at the moment is for you to send us a log of what registry keys SSMS is calling on startup.

- You will need to get Process Monitor from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysint ... nitor.mspx
    - Start it running and then go to the filter > filter... menu
    - Add a new filter where the Process Name is SqlWb.exe (it is case sensitive)
    - Start Management Studio
    - As soon as the error occurs switch back to Process Monitor and select File > Save
    - Select Events displayed using current filter and save the log

If you can email this log to jonathan [dot] watts [at] red [dash] gate [dot] com

Sorry this is such a long winded problem, but we at a lost at the moment as to what is going on.

Kind Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Cool, no worries. File sent!

Thanks!

// Dave
  • Any word on a fix?