SQL Packager & SQL Server SP1: Self Deadlocking Transactions

NZJonNZJon Posts: 5
edited March 26, 2007 6:51PM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Hi there,

With reference to a previous "conversation" (http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=3567) and to a blog entry made by Andras (http://www.simple-talk.com/community/blogs/andras/archive/2006/06/09/859.aspx), I wonder whehter you would be able to answer a couple of questions.

We are experiencing the problems detailed by Andras, when deploying a SQL Packager "package" onto a client's SQL Server 2005 server. They have SQL Server 2005 SP1 installed, and we have been using SQL Packager 5.2.0.49.

Firstly, do you know whether the latest version of SQL Packager, 5.3, resolves the issues? Does it spilt out the XML Schema definitions into a separate transaction from its usage?

Secondly, do you know whether MS have changed how these works (aka. "fixed it") with SP2 or with a specific hotfix? I have not been able to find an MS article that describes the problem or mentions a fix.

Thanks for you time,

Jon
Jon Pawley,
Senior Software Engineer,
Wellnomics Limited,
www.wellnomics.com

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Jon,

I don't think any changes were made for Packager in this area. Maybe I can get Andras to look into whether SQL Server has resolved it on their end.
  • Hi there Brian,

That would be good.

Without built-in support for this scenario, SQL Packager's value to us is
    significantly decreased. In fact, you could argue that SQL Packager is broken.

At the moment, we have to implement a rather circuitous manual process of generating a C# project using SQL Packager, update the Visual Studio project to VS2005 format, modifying the project's resources so that the XML Schema's definition is in its own transaction, compile the project in Visual Studio, and finally deploy.

If there is anything we can do to provide you with more information, please do just ask. I look forward to getting this working.

Jon
    Jon Pawley,
    Senior Software Engineer,
    Wellnomics Limited,
    www.wellnomics.com