SQL Prompt disables "auto list members" in Transact-SQL Editor when a license is not active

intGodintGod Posts: 4 New member
edited November 27, 2020 11:08AM in SQL Prompt
We are working on a shared DEV environment. I installed SQL Prompt and slapped my personal license on it. Unfortunately, my colleagues who do not have a license now have their autocomplete disabled.

When they turn "auto list members" back on, SQL Prompt disables it again after 1 minute or so. The behaviour is: auto list members on, intellisense works fine, suddenly SQL Prompt kicks in once and from then on, auto list members is disabled and SQL prompt is disabled to (because of no license)

Understandably, my colleagues are miffed about this and are now requesting me to uninstall SQL Prompt. Is there a way around this? Is this a bug or intended behaviour?
Tagged:

Answers

• Thanks for reaching out to us regarding this. My sincerest apology for the delay in responding to you!

After speaking with colleagues regarding this, it is expected that SQL Prompt will disable 'Auto List Members' in SSMS. Given that, unfortunately it does appear that Prompt will either need to be licensed or uninstalled for those individuals.

Kind regards

Dan Jary | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • intGodintGod Posts: 4 New member
    Thanks for getting back to me, Dan!

That is unfortunate behaviour and feels like "kidnapping". Unfortunately that means I will have to uninstall the software and my client won't go ahead with ordering the 10 licenses I asked for because they are unsure what else will be broken with SQL Prompt if they decide to not renew the license after a year :(

Is there no option to check if there is a valid license and only kidnap the 'auto list members' if there is a valid license available? Maybe the situation where only a certain members of people using the same install of SSMS has a valid key is unique but I doubt it ..

But thank you for getting back to me even if the news is not what I hoped for.

• Sure, I can understand this must be frustrating. My apology that I couldn't provide a better solution for moving forward on this occasion.

Thank you for raising the point around a check for a valid license. This is something that has been raised with our development team in the past, I will do the same again in order to raise the awareness of this issue.

Kind regards

• Hi again @intGod

Just to advise that, as a result of you raising this with us, our development team will now be looking into this issue. I will update you again when I have a further update.

Kind regards

• Dan_JDan_J Posts: 447 Silver 2

My sincere apology for the delay in updating you on this!

As a result of you raising this issue with us, I'm pleased to let you know that the latest release of SQL Prompt (10.6.4) contains a fix this. Native intellisense shouldn't no longer be disabled by SQL Prompt when it is not licensed.

Kind regards

• intGodintGod Posts: 4 New member
    Wow Dan, that is really great. Thank you!