Update Broke SSMS and now I can't use it.

So this morning, I noticed my sql prompt was not working. It wasn't auto completing or anything. I went to go look at options and all I had were license management and about. I refreshed the license and it said it was licensed. However it still wouldn't work. I did a check for updates and there was one, and so I did that. Now, when I open SSMS, I get this error

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo, Version=16.100.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

And then I cannot do anything in SSMS. So I basically can't work. Is there either a fix for this or a way for me to start SSMS without sql prompt on so I can at least work?
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi Michael, 

Could you confirm which version of SSMS you are using? Please could you try updating to the latest version of SSMS.

Thanks, 

Owen
    Software Engineer
    SQL Prompt / SQL Search
  • Michael_AndrewsMichael_Andrews Posts: 7 Bronze 1
    edited October 26, 2020 1:51PM
    I just updated to the latest. I also tried completely uninstalling and re-installing 10.4.5.16318. I submitted an error report via the pop up under the email associated with this account if that helps at all. I'm running SSMS v 18.4

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18206.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 15.0.1567.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 10.0.18362.1
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 6.0 
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.11.18362.0
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0.30319.42000
    Operating System 10.0.18362
  • gopigopi Posts: 1 New member
    Am having the same issue with SQL Source control. 
    "
    Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo, Version=16.100.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    "

Any resolutions?
  • @gopi I ended up uninstalling it completely and downloading an older version and installing that
  • MckMurrayMckMurray Posts: 37 Bronze 3
    edited October 30, 2020 12:51PM
    Is there either a fix for this or a way for me to start SSMS without sql prompt on so I can at least work?
    I got the same thing, and found that the error only occurs after you attempt to connect to a server in object explorer. SSMS 18.4. I'll try updating to latest SSMS next...

Results:
    Updating to SSMS 18.7.1 resulted in a whole lot of other errors referencing other SQL Toolbelt tools that I had installed (SQL Source Control, SQL Test, etc.), so I updated all my SQL Toolbelt tools to latest, and now it seems to be working.
  • Hi everyone, 

This appears to be a bug relating to SQL Prompt in SSMS 18.4. We have triaged this and we will investigate it in the near future. In the meantime upgrading SSMS to the latest version should resolve any issues. 

Thanks, 

Owen
    Software Engineer
    SQL Prompt / SQL Search
  • Please, do something with that problem. I spent like one hour of troubleshooting that problem! Why there is no communication from your company that software contains bug and in case of troubles do XY?
  • hrobertshroberts Posts: 5 New member
    I'm having issues in SSMS 18.7.1.
    When I hit New Query everything freezes and the application says it is busy.
  • JohnByrnesJohnByrnes Posts: 1 New member

I am having a similar experience and I have two versions of SSMS on my development machine.  I use a version 17  (14.0.17289.0) because the debugger is available on this version. If you have permission, the debugger is a great tool.  SQL Prompt is working with Version 17, but my Version 18 (15.0.18118.0) Client tools (15.0.1300.131.)  generates This error:    

This is causing SSMS to shutdown and restart.  This is repeatable.

Suggestions?  John