Instance retention graph not expanding - ANTS Memory Profiler 10

When I use the Instance Retention Graph for an instance of an object, it often shows like this:

How can I make it expand so I can view/see the information about this instance ?

Palli

Tagged:

Answers

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4

Hi Palli,

Sorry to hear you're running into an issue!

Loading the Instance retention graph causes all nodes to be drawn in the middle first, then an animation is run to arrange them on proper positions. 

We saw a similar issue before which ended up being related to the new monitor that the customer had. Can I just check the resolution/aspect ratio that you have? That customer was able to get things working when he switched to a monitor with 16:9 aspect ratio (whereas the one having the issue had 16:10 aspect ratio). 

I'm also curious:

• Does the issue appear for all type instances, or just JDXpert_JDX_NVP?
    • Does the issue appear on Instance categorizer as well?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• PalliPalli Posts: 6 New member
    Hi,

My resolution is 2560x1440, so it is a 16:9 aspect ration.

This happens to selected types only, not only this particular type. Most of the types work fine, but there seems to be a consistency so that if a type does not work, it never works.

The instance categorizer works well and no problems there.

Palli

Just to be clear. This is not the only class that I have this problem with. There is a number of classes/types which suffer, but as I said, there is consistency so that if a type does not work once, it never works.

Isn't there some manual way to trigger the animation ?

Palli

Thanks Palli! 

Sorry to say there isn't a way to manually trigger this.

Can you please reproduce the issue and then send us your log files (Help>Open log folder)?

Would it also be possible for you to share your results file with us?

You can send these to support@red-gate.com with subject "ANTS Issue #171340"

Hi and thanks.

Email sent with the logs of a reproducing session.

As mentioned in the email, leaving the profiler open over night, the animation to expand the instance retention graph does eventually complete, but only after a very long time, so it is not helpful for the profiling.

I did include a PDF export of the expanded instance in the email, in case it will help with the troubleshooting. The log files after that long session is also available if needed, but they are quite big, almost 150 Mb.

Palli
    I am starting to think that the animation will eventually be triggered in every case, just a very, very, very long time after the graph is opened.

When I have left it over night, I come back the next morning with the animation completed. When I export the PDF, it is really huge. I have also watched the CPU for the profiler process, and it stays at 8-12% the whole time, so the profiler is doing something heavy in the background, that's for sure.

Well, this is exactly one of the reasons why I am doing memory profiling, to figure those "huge" things out, and it is pretty much impossible when the animation is not triggered almost right away.

My first thoughts is to put a limit to either the time spent expanding the graph or the number of levels (or both) and then allow you to manually expand further if you want/need. 

Palli

• We've raised MP-2662 internally to track this. Unfortunately we can't provide any ETAs, our current focus is net 5, but its been added to the list.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
    Thanks. 
    Will I be notified when there is a fix ?

Palli

Hi Palli,

We will post any updates here.