Updated SQL Prompt 10 and now the menu is not showing in SSMS

SQL Prompt stopped working for some reason. I saw there was an update so i updated it. Now the menu is gone from SSMS. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and that did not help. I looked on the forum and found this link.

https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/comment/163577#Comment_163577

Changing "AlwaysRecreateCommands" did not help for me either. I'm using SSMS 2014 (version 12.0.5000.0). I installed SSMS v18.6 (version 15.0.18338.0) to see if it shows up there but it doesn't. How can I get SQL Prompt to show up and work again?

Best Answer

Answers

• lorenslorens Posts: 2 New member
    I am in the same boat  :( I have uninstalled and re-installed. Manually removed directories per another post I saw. I am realizing how much I absolutely depend on SQL Prompt to increase my productivity! I was prowling through logs on SSMS Integration Pack 3 directory and saw this:
    <b>Failed to load exported types from RedGate.SSMSIP.SSMS2012, Version=3.1.1.797, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57, so ignoring it for RedGate.SSMSIP.CommonUI.IAddIn
    System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes()
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
       at RedGate.SSMSIP.Engine.NinjectExtensions.BestTypeFinder.TryFindType(Type desiredType, Assembly assembly, Type& implementationType)
    </b>15:36:58.152|Info   |sions.BestTypeFinder|1  |#1:Could not load file or assembly 'SqlWorkbench.Interfaces, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    15:36:58.152|Info   |sions.BestTypeFinder|1  |#1:Could not load file or assembly 'SqlWorkbench.Interfaces, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    15:36:58.157|Debug  |.ConstraintAttribute|1  |#1:Addin RedGate.SSMSIP.SSMS2014.Connect has satisfied constraint Dependency on SqlWorkbench.Interfaces, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91
    <b>15:36:58.157|Info   |sions.BestTypeFinder|1  |#1:Satisfied all the constraints for RedGate.SSMSIP.SSMS2014.Connect
    </b>15:36:58.173|Info   |SIP.SSMS2014.Connect|1  |#1:This is assembly RedGate.SSMSIP.SSMS2014, Version=3.1.1.797, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57
    15:36:58.401|Debug  |CommonUI.ConnectBase|1  |#1:OnConnection: connectMode=ext_cm_UISetup
    <b>15:36:58.420|Info   |sions.BestTypeFinder|1  |#1:Failed to load exported types from RedGate.SSMSIP.SSMS2012, Version=3.1.1.797, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57, so ignoring it for RedGate.SSMSIP.CommonUI.IAddIn
    System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes()
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
       at RedGate.SSMSIP.Engine.NinjectExtensions.BestTypeFinder.TryFindType(Type desiredType, Assembly assembly, Type& implementationType)
    </b>15:36:58.420|Info   |sions.BestTypeFinder|1  |#1:Could not load file or assembly 'SqlWorkbench.Interfaces, Version=11.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    Please help! 

• @lorens what directory did you find that in?
  • lorenslorens Posts: 2 New member
    C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Red Gate\Logs\SSMS Integration Pack 3
    and as a note, I work for a very large company that has very tight control on our ability to install
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 26 Bronze 2
    Hello @theDeveloper,

If you were running SQL Prompt 9 (which had support for SSMS 2014, as described here) then updated to SQL Prompt 10 (which does not have support for SSMS 2014, as described here), that might be the reason why the extension is not appearing for you.

Please uninstall the existing SQL Prompt, double check to make sure SSMS 18 is already installed, and then reinstall the latest version of SQL Prompt here.

I hope this answer helps you out! Please do update me if you are still having any issues.

@lorens,

Can you provide me with your SSMS and SQL Prompt versions? It sounded like SQL Prompt previously worked for you, can include additional details of when this was no longer the case?

Do you still see the SQL Prompt tab inside SSMS?