Options

Error when checking in SQL ojbects and associating to a TFS Work Item

For reference - running
SQL Server Management Studio - v18.6
Redgate SQL Source Control - v7.1.29.11028
Visual Studio - 2017 (VS 2015 also installed)

My organization requires a comment for all check-ins and to associate the check-in to a TFS work item (for example, a check-in comment may look like this: #A106 adding tables).  When I attempt to check in an object, I get this error:

This commit doesn't meet the server's policy requirements, or the policy isn't configured on your machine. The server returned the following:
Internal error in Changeset Comments Policy. Error loading the Changeset Comments Policy policy (The policy assembly 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.PowerTools.CheckinPolicies.ChangesetComments, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' is not registered.). Installation instructions:

Check-in comments with the same format work for my co-workers.  My dll's and registry seem to match my co-workers.  See picture:

I am stumped.  I've been getting around this by using #ignorepolicies, but I would really like to resolve the issue.  Any ideas?

Best Answer

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi @MS_TEA!

This error normally comes up if the TFS policies aren't installed on your machine, but they should be available if you have VS 2015 installed. (Microsoft sadly stopped including Powertools which installs the policies as of VS 2017, so installing VS 2015 usually resolves this.) 

As you already have VS 2015 installed, can you please try the following:

Edit %localappdata%\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 7\RedGate_SQLSourceControl_Engine_EngineOptions.xml file in a text editor to include TeamFoundationServerDllOverride as below
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <!---->
    <EngineOptions version="3" type="EngineOptions">
      <TeamFoundationServerDllOverride>TfsExtendedClient</TeamFoundationServerDllOverride>
    </EngineOptions>

Hope that helps! 

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers