SQL Prompt 9.5 table/column suggestions not working with SSMS 18.0 Azure SQL Data Warehouse

RandoMRandoM Posts: 2 New member
edited May 6, 2019 12:13PM in SQL Prompt
I am connecting to Azure SQL Data Warehouse and since upgrading to SSMS 18.0 and SQL Prompt 9.5.2,  SQL Prompt has stopped suggesting database tables. 

I have already re-installed both SSMS and SQL Prompt without success.

SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18118.0
SQL Prompt 9.5.2.9464

auth. method: Active Directory - Universal with MFA support
Tagged:

Answers

• ricsekerricseker Posts: 4 New member
    I'm having the same issue, downloaded SQL Prompt newest version and SSMS 18 newest version and the suggestions don't work. If I open SSMS 17 they work
  • RandoMRandoM Posts: 2 New member
    Support has let me know that SQL Prompt v9 does not support Azure auth (or anything Azure) though some of it may work. And that the team are aware that some of this functionality worked previously but unfortunately this is not currently going to get fixed.

:(
  • ricsekerricseker Posts: 4 New member
    I can use SQL Prompt v9 suggestions  perfectly with SSMS  17.9, however the main reason to migrate to SSMS 18 is that 17.9 tends to freeze with Azure SQL Server. This is an issue that you should be resolving as many people is using Azure platforms 
  • droachdroach Posts: 1 Bronze 1
    RandoM said:
    Support has let me know that SQL Prompt v9 does not support Azure auth (or anything Azure) though some of it may work. And that the team are aware that some of this functionality worked previously but unfortunately this is not currently going to get fixed.

:(
    If that's the case, I'd like to hear from Redgate why they've decided to snub customers that require Azure authentication.
  • reubsterreubster Posts: 3 New member
    Pretty much destroys the use case for it for me. It's helpful if I'm developing on my desktop with a local instance... otherwise not. . 
  • koenverbeeckkoenverbeeck Posts: 2 New member
    What is the status on this?
  • cgstdevopscgstdevops Posts: 2 New member
    would also like to know the status of this. Is it being worked on?
  • erichumphreyerichumphrey Posts: 1 New member
    Ditto. I need this to work.
  • Hello all,

Just a quick update to let you know that we are aware of the Azure issues described here. Support for Azure is something that is important to us in the Prompt team & will be actively worked on soon.

I’ll make sure I keep you updated here as this progresses.

Tim

Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • InfoShovelInfoShovel Posts: 1 New member
    Hi Tim,

Can you please give an update on this issue? SQL Prompt offers very little value in terms of development speed without this feature. Is this something you are addressing or will be in subsequent sprints?
  • LimeadeLimeade Posts: 1 New member
    We also need to make sure it will work with MFA as that is a requirement these days.
  • clansingclansing Posts: 10 New member
    Do it, please
  • CariniCarini Posts: 1 New member
    I was able to get around this issue by turning on "Enable conditional access to Azure SQL Database (EXPERIMENTAL)" under Tools -> Options -> Azure Services.  I was logging in with Azure Universal, that now that fails, but then I was able to login Windows Authentication - Password.  (still using my azure email/pass I was using in universal). 
  • clansingclansing Posts: 10 New member
    Using Universal with MFA here and that experimental feature made it worse, where I could not even connect to my database at all with that enabled
  • Another update here. The team are now actively working on improving Azure support in SQL Prompt. You'll see updates in the product over the next few releases.

Tim
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • YushaYusha Posts: 1 New member
    Still waiting. Any news?
  • Hi Yusha,

Unfortunately, we've been blocked by an external dependency from doing this work over the past few weeks. However, that dependency has been resolved so we should be able make progress on this soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Software Engineer for SQL Prompt
    Redgate Software
  • emegg02emegg02 Posts: 2 New member
    With azure active directory with password, all works, with MFA, still does not work.
  • Any preliminary ETA, if at all possible, would be appreciated @TomW :) it's getting increasingly frustrating to be missing suggestions..
  • ZrethrealZrethreal Posts: 2 New member
    This seems to be still an issue
    SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18338.0
    SQL Prompt 10.3.3.15548
    Auth: Azure Active Directory - Universal with MFA support
    Redgate can you confirm that this has still to be resolved?
  • Hi @Zrethreal

I am very sorry for the delay and inconvenience this has caused.

We have been actively working on this recently however we have again been blocked by an external dependency. We are currently working with the vendor to resolve this. 

Thanks, 

Owen
    Software Engineer
    SQL Prompt / SQL Search
  • ZrethrealZrethreal Posts: 2 New member
    ostandage said:
    Hi @Zrethreal

I am very sorry for the delay and inconvenience this has caused.

We have been actively working on this recently however we have again been blocked by an external dependency. We are currently working with the vendor to resolve this. 

Thanks, 

Owen
    Thank you for the reply @ostandage. I'm managing at the moment but it is inconvenient - so good to know that it is being worked on :-)

Br
  • RishabRishab Posts: 1 New member
    Ok so here's the workaround I figured out for the time being, specifically for myself. Please note that this may be company-specific hence might not work for you, but here it is:

Instead of authenticating my SQL Server "Connect to Database Engine" via "Azure Active Directory - Universal with MFA", I connected via "Azure Active Directory - Password". I used my enterprise's windows email username and password, and the Column Picker was no longer greyed out. I hope this helps the handful of you who are working under the same enterprise configurations as me!
  • The latest version of SQL Prompt (10.4.2) now supports Azure Active Directory - Universal with MFA authentication. Could you please try it out and let us know if it works? Thanks
    Andrea Angella
    Lead Software Engineer | Red Gate
    Twitter: @angella_andrea
  • It works! :p
  • emegg02emegg02 Posts: 2 New member
    edited September 29, 2020 4:18PM
    It is working for me as well, perfect timing as I just moved 9 developers to using the toolbelt (who are all working in azure).
  • Thank you Red Gate, it is working 
  • Thanks for the great news Andrea, it works! 👏 to the team!
  • I can confirm it works as well. Great job!
  • MarkRosMarkRos Posts: 2 New member
    edited October 13, 2020 12:41PM
    Sadly it isn't working for me.  I'm on SSMS v18.6 and have updated to the latest SQL Prompt v10.4.3, but suggestions aren't working when I'm connected via AAD - Universal with MFA.
    I can see the suggestions for defined SQL terms (SELECT, WHERE, etc.) but the suggestions for table names, column names, functions, etc., are not being loaded from the database into Prompt.
    As far as I can see I have all of the right options ticked in SQL Prompt -> Options.