Source control version 7.1.30.11266 crashing SSMS 18.6

Good morning,

Source control version 7.1.30.11266 is crashing in SSMS 18.6 on startup of SSMS. I upgraded from the previous version.

I found that using the uninstaller to repair the install fixed the issue. But this is the first time such a crash has happened from an upgrade in some time. Below is the screenshot, and then the recommended error file.

<description>CreateInstance failed for package [SqlSourceControlPackage]Source: &apos;mscorlib&apos; Description: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.&#x000D;&#x000A;System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---&gt; System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly &apos;RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Ssms.Common, Version=7.1.30.11266, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;   at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Extension.SqlSourceControlPackage..ctor()&#x000D;&#x000A;   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean&amp; canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandleInternal&amp; ctor, Boolean&amp; bNeedSecurityCheck)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceDefaultCtor(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipCheckThis, Boolean fillCache, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark&amp; stackMark)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Activator.CreateInstanceFromInternal(String assemblyFile, String typeName, Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.AppDomain.CreateInstanceFrom(String assemblyFile, String typeName)System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly &apos;RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Ssms.Common, Version=7.1.30.11266, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;File name: &apos;RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Ssms.Common, Version=7.1.30.11266, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57&apos;&#x000D;&#x000A;   at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Extension.SqlSourceControlPackage..ctor()&#x000D;&#x000A;&#x000D;&#x000A;WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.&#x000D;&#x000A;To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.&#x000D;&#x000A;Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.&#x000D;&#x000A;To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].&#x000D;&#x000A;</description>

Tagged:

Answers

• Same problem here.  Thanks @jsreynolds1 for the fix - running the uninstaller and then choosing Repair solved it.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for the forum post and sorry that you have encountered this problem.

I also encountered this problem upgrading from V7.1.29 to V7.1.30 on my test system.  I have therefore submitted a new Bug Report whose internal Redgate reference is SOC-10149.  I will update this forum post when a bug fix version becomes available.

I can confirm that the work around for the problem is the a repair of the installation via Control Panel ->Programs ->Programs & Features ->Selecting SQL Source Control V7, right click and selected the repair option.  Thank you @jsreynolds1for this additional information.

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • rick@syncbakrick@syncbak Posts: 14 Bronze 2
    edited August 25, 2020 8:06PM
    Same here.  Repairing seems to have resolved that problem. 
    But then if I click SQL Source Control "Options", I get the SQL Source Control error "Cannot locate resource 'images/producticon16x16_fullcolour.png'.", and SSMS 18.6 (15.0.18338.0) crashes.
    Event Viewer shows this exception:
    Application: Ssms.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.IOException
       at MS.Internal.AppModel.ResourcePart.GetStreamCore(System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess)
       at System.IO.Packaging.PackagePart.GetStream(System.IO.FileMode, System.IO.FileAccess)
       at System.IO.Packaging.PackWebResponse+CachedResponse.GetResponseStream()
       at System.IO.Packaging.PackWebResponse.GetResponseStream()
       at System.IO.Packaging.PackWebResponse.get_ContentType()
       at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.SetupDecoderFromUriOrStream(System.Uri, System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCacheOption, System.Guid ByRef, Boolean ByRef, System.IO.Stream ByRef, System.IO.UnmanagedMemoryStream ByRef, Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.CreateFromUriOrStream(System.Uri, System.Uri, System.IO.Stream, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCreateOptions, System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapCacheOption, System.Net.Cache.RequestCachePolicy, Boolean)
       at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.FinalizeCreation()
       at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.CompleteDelayedCreation()
       at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.get_DpiX()
       at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.GetWidthInternal()
       at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.get_Width()
       at MS.Internal.AppModel.IconHelper.GenerateBitmapSource(System.Windows.Media.ImageSource, System.Windows.Size)
       at MS.Internal.AppModel.IconHelper.CreateIconHandleFromImageSource(System.Windows.Media.ImageSource, System.Windows.Size)
       at MS.Internal.AppModel.IconHelper.GetIconHandlesFromImageSource(System.Windows.Media.ImageSource, IconHandle ByRef, IconHandle ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Window.UpdateIcon()
       at System.Windows.Window.SetupInitialState(Double, Double, Double, Double)
       at System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindow(Boolean)
       at System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindowDuringShow()
       at System.Windows.Window.SafeCreateWindowDuringShow()
       at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Window.Show()
       at System.Windows.Window.ShowDialog()
       at RedGate.SQLSourceControl.CommonUI.Controls.ProductInfoAreaControl.GlobalOptionsClicked(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(System.EventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(System.EventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(System.EventArgs, System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemEventType)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(System.EventArgs, System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItemEventType)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.MouseEventArgs)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef, System.Windows.Forms.MouseButtons, Int32)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.MenuStrip.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

• SeanBSeanB Posts: 1 New member
    I had exactly the same problem Rick. Clicking options (either on main page, or button top right) would cause that error and crash SSMS.

I tried many things (including installing an older version then updating) but nothing stopped it happening with this version. I now consider this latest release to be broken.

Instead, I installed my latest version from my downloads folder (which was 7.1.26 I think), and left it as is (e.g., not updating to 7.1.30). I'll wait for next version - and not delete my old installer.

Note that I couldn't find a place to download the previous version on here - I had to rely on my previous downloads only.
  • FYI - It appears that 7.1.31 resolves this issue.
  • tracwattstracwatts Posts: 1 New member
    FYI - Still getting the "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation." error with 7.3.31.15722. This needs to be resolved.
  • JARJAR Posts: 4 New member
    edited June 24, 2022 8:05PM
    i also have  7.3.31.15722 and trying to link to GIT.  If I pick the directory, the link window just closes.  If I paste the path into the Folder, it crashes SSMS.  Any help would be much appreciated. I have already uninstalled Source Control and reinstalled it.  I also tried repairing it.  I also have someone working with me that already had it linked and the database says it is retrieving differences and never finishes.  (after hours of leaving it working)