Overlapping identifiers for attributes, methods and enums of a class

pkesspkess Posts: 3 New member
I decompiled a dll where some symbols could not be resolved to their original names. Therefore the decompiler used names like a, b, c and so on and assigned the “a” to both a function, member variable and an enum in a class.

Is it possible to change this behaviour in some way?
Tagged:

Answers

• .NET Reflector only ever generates names for local variables. It tries to infer their names from usage or their types, so I'd say it's unlikely for it to generate names like "a", "b", "c". Names of namespaces, enums (and their fields), classes, fields, properties, methods (and their parameters), local functions (and their parameters) are always contained in assembly's metadata. We simply read them from the assembly, they're never generated.

Is the assembly obfuscated?
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • pkesspkess Posts: 3 New member
    Hi, actually it does generate this code. Is there any way for me to analyze this more in detail?
  • I think that shared names are invalid in C# code but valid in compiled metadata, so it sounds like the assembly was post processed (obfuscated) by some application. Reflector unfortunately just produces code with names taken from the metadata.

Are you able provide us some examples? 
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • pkesspkess Posts: 3 New member
    I think it will not be possible to post those assemblies here. If there is any way to have a look in those metadata i can inspect it for you.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, 
    A support ticket has been created for you.  Via the support ticket, I will send an email message to you with a URL link for you to upload the requested assemblies for us to inspect.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for uploading your dll file for us to investigate.  We will update this post once we have further information to pass to you.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com