"Invalid connection string: Keyword not supported: 'multiple active result sets'" when changing conn

I'm getting this error when I change the connection string from the default connection. I see that the .sqlproj.user file creates the connection string with these values:

<TargetConnectionString>Data Source=.;Initial Catalog=MyDB;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=sa;Password=;Pooling=False;Multiple Active Result Sets=False;Connect Timeout=10;Encrypt=False;Trust Server Certificate=False</TargetConnectionString>

No matter if I delete that portion of the connection string, the error remains until I delete the /bin and /obj folders, and then if I recompile I get the same error (the .sqlproj.user gets regenerated).

How do I solve this?

Answers

• Thanks for reaching out and sorry that you've run into trouble with SQL Change Automation.
    I was able to reproduce the error on my end and it appears to be a bug with the format.
    You should be able to get around this by first, unloading the project, then modifying the connection string from Multiple Active ResultSets to MultipleActiveResultSets (remove the spaces).

Also, can you confirm the details of your environment just in case it differs from mine (SCA version/ Visual Studio version/OS etc.)?

I'll be escalating this for a fix.

Kind regards,

Pete Ruiz

• Thanks for your patience on this issue. I had previously been able to reproduce the error when using the SCA extension for Visual Studio version 4.2.20176.20875. We've since done some work recently with Visual Studio and MSBuild which although isn't directly related to the error, may coincidentally fixed the issue.

I've recently updated to the latest SCA extension version 4.3.20205 and I am no longer able to reproduce the error. Can you please upgrade the extension and confirm if it too resolves the error on your end?

Cheers,

Pete Ruiz

• this appears to still be an issue.  I have a developer using version 4.3.20211 and every time we refresh, the target connection strings get broken again.  this is a bit absurd of a bug to be honest, why is our connection string being altered and broken?  you also drop the passwords off when we explicitly have it set to keep the passwords.  when will this be fixed?  it is massively decreasing productivity
  • nrjrnrjr Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    This is happening for me too using version 4.3.20288. When will there be a fix?
  • neilaneila Posts: 1 New member
    edited July 27, 2022 11:11AM
    I have latest version and this is happening again - is this a returning bug or still outstanding?

I unload project and edit sqlproj.user file (in project root folder) - removing spaces in Multiple Active Result Sets and also Trust Server Certificate.

- but need to repeat this after every refresh which is painful!