Out of the blue - exit code 79

Hello,

I have been having problems with running PS Sql Change Automation scripts on a client server.

I am running scripts to compare old and new versions of the clients DB's and if needed update the old DB to be the same as the new DB.

This has been running on client servers for quite a while now.

One of the machines needed a fresh server install and a new install of all the PS modules.

I am now having problems with my scripts returning exit code 79 – DB's are identical. I also get warnings about PS not being able to download a list of available providers.

I don't really understand this error, since the point of the script is to find the differences and make them identical...

These are the versions is get on the server machine.

The exact error I get out of my application is "myApp.exe terminated with the exit code 79: Databases not identical. The source and target databases were supposed to be identical, but were different.". I have read that there is an option to force Sql automation to only accept identical DB's, but that is not an option I have specified in my code.

I cannot return the script that is getting executed because of the exit code (tried saving it in a file, but it doesn't work since the app exits with an error).

The same app is running on other server machines without the error.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Best regards

Uroš Dornig

Best Answer

• DanCDanC Posts: 587 Gold 4
    Hi @dUros

So to fix the issue with getting the with the PowersShell gallery, you can add this to the top of your script:

[System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol
    = [System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12
    With regards to the exit code issue, I'll need to take a deeper look into what's occurring and get you to perform a series of tests to narrow down the cause, what I'll do is reach out to you via a support ticket!

Kind regards

Dan Calver | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our 
    Help Center?