Old decommissioned servers in Source/Target dropdowns

tsorentsoren Posts: 15 Bronze 2
How can I remove old servers from the SQL and Data Compare dropdowns for Source/Targets?  Some of the servers listed have not been valid for years and it is annoying that I have to keep seeing them when looking for the servers I want to use.  Is there a config file or registry location that can be edited?

Answers

• BTPBTP Posts: 12 Bronze 2
    I too was wondering this only today!  my list is a bit of a mess and would like to tidy it up 
    Darren Lawrence
    Developer
  • Hi @tsoren and @BTP

I've done some testing around this and found you can remove the entries for the local SQL Servers and Azure servers from HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Red Gate >SQL Compare 14 >MostRecentlyUsedServers and HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Red Gate >SQL Data Compare 14 >MostRecentlyUsedServers

However if you're seeing servers in the network section, we don't save these, I found I had references in my registry if I searched for the instance name and removed them. 

Please then close and re-open SQL Compare and Data Compare to refresh!

Kind regards

Dan Calver | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• BTPBTP Posts: 12 Bronze 2
    As rummaging in the registry is fraught with danger for some, I feel this could be a feature that can be added to maintain this list

Darren Lawrence
    Developer
  • Hi @BTP

I can understand that, I would recommend posting the suggestion on the forum here: https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141379-sql-compare

This is where the Product Managers look for new ideas for improvements to the products

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

• tsorentsoren Posts: 15 Bronze 2
    Dan, thanks for the info to clear from the Red Gate registry entries.  Still having entries in the network section.  You mention finding you had other references in your registry and removed them, do you recall where you found them?  Do you have any info on how Red Gate internally loads these "Network Servers" from?  The first couple of servers I have searched for are not showing up when searching my entire registry.  Thanks!
  • Hi @tsoren

You're welcome! I'm not quite sure where I found the references precisely, but I searched for the instance names and deleted all references. I can query the development team on how the Network Servers get found and stored.

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

Dan, that would be great, as the first 3 server instances I tried I couldn't find anywhere in registry. Thanks!
  • Hi @tsoren

I queried the developers and was informed that all our tools share a library to discover servers. The library users a number of strategies which includes using the SQL Browser service and the registry. 

Unfortunately you're unable to remove items from the list.

Sorry I couldn't of been more help!

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?

Hi Dan!
    Actually your last answer was more helpful than you realized.  By mentioning using SQL Browser triggered me to look at the registered servers on my SSMS and I found that a while ago I had moved them into a Server Group by site called Deprecated.  Once I deleted these entries, it fixed the drop downs on Red Gate Compare and Data Compare.  Thanks for your help!  
  • Hi @tsoren

Ah brilliant, glad that resolved the issue for you and I'll certainly make a note for that to be something to review in the future!

Kind regards

Have you visited our 
    Help Center?