SQL Search 3.4.2.2567 not working with SSMS 18.5?

TomLTomL Posts: 13 Bronze 2
Hello,
the latest SQL Search ( 3.4.2.2567 ) is not working for me, with the latest version of SSMS ( 18.5 )
I guess it's the same kind of problems like with the SQL Prompt. Which is working now with the latest version.

It's just nothing happening, when I click the SQL Search button.
I've already tried repair/uninstall/install .

Can somebody please confirm this?
Perhaps it's just a problem on my local machine.

Best regards,
Thomas
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• JodyBarfordJodyBarford Posts: 7 Bronze 4
    Having the same issue here. SQL Prompt working. SQL Search and SQL Source Control are not.
  • TomLTomL Posts: 13 Bronze 2
    Thanks for the feedback JodyBarford!
    I will check it out tomorrow!

Have a good one!
  • Tony_LuggTony_Lugg Posts: 2 New member
    I'm having the same problem.  Installed SSMS 18.5 and SQL Search button does nothing.  Reinstalled SQL Search but no luck.
  • Tony_Lugg said:
    I'm having the same problem.  Installed SSMS 18.5 and SQL Search button does nothing.  Reinstalled SQL Search but no luck.
    As mentioned above, try version 3.5.
  • Tony_LuggTony_Lugg Posts: 2 New member
    Tony_Lugg said:
    As mentioned above, try version 3.5.
    Oops, I misread that.  I wonder why 3.5 isn't what is downloaded under "Free Download"...
  • TomLTomL Posts: 13 Bronze 2
    Version 3.5 works like a charm again!

Thank you again JodyBarford for the feedback!

Stay safe guys!
  • jmsmithjmsmith Posts: 1 New member
    Version 3.5 works for me as well!
  • rob39Mrob39M Posts: 1 New member
    I already had v3.5 before I upgraded SSMS to 18.5 and SQL Search just refused to show up, said it was installed. So I uninstalled SQL Search and reinstalled and it's fine now.
  • dannyvpadannyvpa Posts: 5 Bronze 4
    Like others, version 3.5 corrects the issue, but 3.4 is what downloads on the "free software" download.
    Dan V, P20 Global
  • jstallmeyerjstallmeyer Posts: 1 New member
    For me the issue was that after downloading SQL Search alone on SSMS 18.5, clicking on the button Sql Search didnt result in windows showing for the search. Solution for me was to install the entire suit of services as part of the SQL Toolbelt Essentials (11 services). After I installed these, I was able to click, view the sql search. 
  • veraperezpveraperezp Posts: 0 New member
    I was having this issue on 18.5, installing 3.5.0.2590 corrected it. 
  • MichaelsMichaels Posts: 1 New member
    SQLSearch_3.5.0.2590.exe is not working for me under SQL Server Management Studio 15.0.18330.0

1) Installed the 3.4 version from the free download.
    2) Found this post so I downloaded 3.5.0.2590
    3) Uninstalled 3.4
    4) Installed 3.5.0.2590
    The "SQL Search" button appears in the toolbar but clicking it doesn't do anything.

Any suggestions?
  • thzmanthzman Posts: 6 New member
    Hi.
    Having the same issue with that on SSMS 18.5.1 and SQL Search version 3.5.1.2598.
    I had SQL Search updated on the 24:th of June but the button still doesnt work. When I click it nothing happens.
    Could this be an issue from upgrading SSMS? I upgraded SSMS first and then tried to upgrade SQL Search but the installer said that I already had the latest version.
  • rick@syncbakrick@syncbak Posts: 14 Bronze 2
    SSMS 15.0.18333.0
    SQL Search 3.5.1.2598 -- all dropdowns & text boxes are disabled.Menus are still enabled.
  • DedwardsDedwards Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Yup, I have same problem. Upgraded to SSMS SQL 15.0.18333.0 because the SQL Prompt said certain things would not work after upgrade, then upgraded Toolbelt.
    SQL Search stopped working, no error, just dead stick. Tried upgrading using standalone SQL Search, no joy.

Also get an error opening SSMS every time now too: "The 'SQLDependencyTrackerSSMSPackage' package did not load correctly..... etc etc" 

Then same for 'SQLDocSSMSPackage'.

Luckily I don't use these much.

I do use SQL Search extensively though.

• thzmanthzman Posts: 6 New member
    @Dedwards
    Uninstall Dependecy Tracker and SQL Search will start working again.

• DedwardsDedwards Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    @thzman
    I'd forgotten this thread :) I opened a support case in the end, and yes, they advised uninstalling Dependency Analyser and Doc, a known issue.

This did get SQL search working again. Unfortunately, I've just had to complete an urgent project where Dependency Analyser would have been very useful (not as useful as SQL Search was luckily). Shame really, the first time I could have made good use of one of the products we are paying for and I was unable to use it!
  • I really miss sql search, but nothing seems to bring it back.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times. I've tried different versions.  I've removed the dependency tracker. 
  • richttrichtt Posts: 1 New member
    As dannyvpa says, the free download link give you the old version (3.4) which has this problem. 3.5 is OK. Frankly, it's ridiculous that Redgate can do this, they must waste of lot of people's time. It doesn't paint them in a good light IMHO.
  • Downloaded 3.5 and it will not install - failure code 1603 with SSMS 18.x - says "SSMS 2012, 2014, 2016 or 2017 required"
  • OffByOneOffByOne Posts: 9 Bronze 1
    Red Gate SQL Search 3.4 does not seem to work in SQL Management studio 18.6.  Clicking the red button does nothing.  Any estimates when this will be fixed?
  • phenryphenry Posts: 1 New member
    Using the latest SQL Server management studio (18.6), I was able to find, download, install and run 3.5.2.2607 from here, https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLSearch/. Most likely if you are using the latest management studio, just grab the latest 3.5 on that link\page.
  • Hi everyone, 

We have fixed an issue with SQL Dependency Tracker which was causing some issues with SQL Search. This has been confirmed to work with the latest version of SQL Search and SSMS 18.6.

If you are still experiencing problems, please update to SQL Dependency tracker 3.3.4 to fix this. 

Thanks, 

Owen
    Software Engineer
    SQL Prompt / SQL Search
  • epandyepandy Posts: 1 New member
    edited November 20, 2020 8:26PM
    ostandage said:
    Hi everyone, 

We have fixed an issue with SQL Dependency Tracker which was causing some issues with SQL Search. This has been confirmed to work with the latest version of SQL Search and SSMS 18.6.

If you are still experiencing problems, please update to SQL Dependency tracker 3.3.4 to fix this. 

Thanks, 

Owen
    It is not working.  I also installed SQLDependencyTracker_3.3.4.2163 today.  I am using it on SSMS 18.7.1 where the SQL Prompt button launches the window but everything inside is disabled.  

Input Search Box is disabled:

• AlvaAlva Posts: 4 New member
    I uninstalled sql search, reinstalled 3.5.0.2590 (which was a down grade from my installed version).  Still did not work, all menus grayed out couldn't type in input box. 
    Tried installing latest version of Dependency Tracker, was already on latest version.
    Uninstalled Dependency Tracker, now sql search works, but I need both.

Guess I will just do the install/uninstall dance until it is resolved completely.
  • mmooremmoore Posts: 36 Bronze 4
    edited December 3, 2020 7:22PM
    Alva said:
    I uninstalled sql search, reinstalled 3.5.0.2590 (which was a down grade from my installed version).  Still did not work, all menus grayed out couldn't type in input box. 
    Tried installing latest version of Dependency Tracker, was already on latest version.

Guess I will just do the install/uninstall dance until it is resolved completely.
    I can confirm, I am also having this issue. I just downloaded the latest toolbelt and upgraded everything. Still no go with Sql Server with SSMS 18.5

Any idea on how long for the fix?  
    Mark Moore
    Software Engineer
    NTS Data Services, LLC
    mmoore said:
    Alva said:

I can confirm, I am also having this issue. I just downloaded the latest toolbelt and upgraded everything. Still no go with Sql Server with SSMS 18.5

Any idea on how long for the fix?  

So this is what I did and both started working, not sure it was entirely necessary.  I will put all the steps in for everyone's information:

I was at latest release on everything as of Nov 30:
    1) uninstall sql search 3.5.3.2624
    2) install sql search  3.5.0.2590
    SQL Search not working
    3) check for updates, only sql search needs update
    4) uninstall SQL Dependency Tracker 3.3.4.2163
    now SQL Search works
    5) install SQL Dependency Tracker 3.3.4.2163
    SQL Search not working
    6) upgrade SQL Search to 3.5.3.2624
    now both SQL Search and SQL Dependency Tracker work

• Hi,

We are aware of a bug relating to this, could you please upgrade to SQL Search 3.5.3. If the problem still persists we have a workaround until we are able to fix this: 

1. Disconnect from the SQL Server in SSMS you want to search
    2. Close and reopen SQL Search
    3. Reconnect the SQL Server

Hopefully these steps will work in the meantime, apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks, 

Owen
    Software Engineer
    SQL Prompt / SQL Search
    My Search broke again this morning, but Owens workaround got it going again.

Thanks Owen, much easier than the uninstall-install dance.  ::happy: