Stored procedures embedded in the schema

bhardinbhardin Posts: 2 New member
I installed DLM Dashboard because I would like to know when a schema changes.   As we are moving from development to production I am seeing drift on production dbs.   As it turns out, the developers tell me that "most of the programing is done from within the database using stored procedures" - so .. should I turn the tool off or just acknowledge there has been a change?   Are there any ramifications using this tool in this situation?   Is DLM going to prevent the code from running?  These guys have a copy of SQL tools .. not sure what .. if anything .. they are using for source control.  Best Practices?
Tagged:

Answers

• DLM Dashboard doesn't prevent anything from running. It merely tracks the schema states as they change. 

I'm curious as to the reason you'd like to track schema changes. What are you looking for in particular?
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • bhardinbhardin Posts: 2 New member
    Thanks for your response.  My thought was that it is another tool to help to head things off at the pass.  No there is nothing in particular that I am looking for.  I would just rather know that something has changed than to have to figure it out later if there were an issue as a result of a schema change.
  • @bhardin - if you already use SQL Monitor, a good option for you might be this custom metric, which uses extended events to spot schema changes. 

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software