How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

sql server vs machine CPU in SQL Monitor 10

SQL Monitor 10.1.11

I'm looking at a time period in SQL Monitor where the main CPU metric at the top is pegged at 100%:  

I then looked down at the CPU area below and see that the machine CPU seems to be much higher than "SQL Server":

Then, I looked at the process info by CPU and see:

This is confusing for me.  Might someone be able to shed light on why "SQL Server" % is ~8% max above, but sqlservr process is ~98%?  And, how might I go about finding what is really causing the pegged CPU (within SQL Monitor)?

Thank you,

-Peter

Best Answer

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @PeterDanielsCRB ,

Yes, the Dark Blue section labeled SQL Server is actually SQL Server "Things with a Query Plan" which would show up in the Top X queries section, and the rest of the stuff on the server, including SQL Server actions which do not have a query plan (such as encrypted bakups or index maintenance) would take up CPU as SqlServer.exe but only show up in the light blue machine section of that graph (and in the CPU usage in the top 10 processes by CPU farther down on the Server overview).

I was actually just talking to one of the developers yesterday and we agreed it was misnamed, but at this point it's not clear what it should be renamed to (I voted for "Sql Server Queries" which is at least a bit more indicative of what it actually is) and I think it needs to have UX look at it really.

For now, I hope this clears things up for what is actually represented in each and hopefully we'll be able to make this a bit clearer in the future.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

Hi @PeterDanielsCRB ,

Hmm that is a bit confusing.  I'm wondering if the CPU shown in the top graph for SQL Server is query related (while the other is total machine CPU) and the CPU in the bottom graph under processes is total process CPU.;

Which could mean that SQL Server is reindexing or doing encrypted backups or something that won't show up in the Top X queries, but would take up CPU from SQL Server.

I'm going to check on this and I will come back to you!

Kind regards,
    Alex

Hi @PeterDanielsCRB,

Righto, it is as I thought - the dark blue section of the graph is for what we call "SQL Processes" which are queries with execution plans (which are also the only things that show up in the top 10 queries). 

Everything else that consumes CPU ends up in the light blue section of the graph, which may include index rebuilds, encrypted backups, etc.

I hope that helps clarify things!

kind regards,
    Alex

• PeterDanielsCRBPeterDanielsCRB Posts: 126 Bronze 3
    Thanks, @Alex B.  Just to make sure I'm clear.  The "dark blue" that you are referring to is the darker blue graph area labeled "SQL Server"?  And that is for "queries executing" as opposed to other sqlservr.exe processes?   Hmmm.  Why would it be labeled "Machine"?  That makes me believe that it is something more like a non-SQL process like IIS or SSIS or somebody playing solitaire. ;) 
  • PeterDanielsCRBPeterDanielsCRB Posts: 126 Bronze 3
    Excellent.  Thanks, @Alex B.  That's helpful.  And yes, it would be nice if these concepts were clearer in the UI.