How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

Getting errors when attempting to move Base Monitor Service

I am attempting to move the Base Monitor service.  We have the Base Monitor service and the Web service hosted on the same server and would like to split them keeping the Web service on the existing server and moving the Base Monitor service to a new server. We will be keeping the same Database Repository which is hosted on a separate SQL server.  I have installed the Base Monitor service on the new machine. I then went in and deactivated the SQL Monitor licenses on the Configuration/Licenses page. Then I went to the Configuration/Base Monitor Connection and changed the Primary Base Monitor from localhost to the new Base Monitor server.

These steps seemed to work correctly.  I then went back in to Configuration/Licenses and attempt to activate the product licenses.  It gives me a "Failed to activate the License - The operation has timed out" error.
The Base Monitor log from the new server has this error:
46233088, status code is 5376
2020-05-04 17:38:54,369 [            251] ERROR RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Services.Licensing.LicensingService - Unable to activate license online for serial number XXX-XXX-XXXXXX-XXXX, exception: RedGate.Licensing.Client.ActivationException: The operation has timed out
   at RedGate.Licensing.Client.WebService.ActivationEngineBase.ThrowFailure(Boolean serverError, String errorMessage)
   at RedGate.Licensing.Client.WebService.ServiceEngineBase`1.PerformWebServiceCall()
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Licensing.LicenceProvider.ActivateOnline(String serialNumber)
   at RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Services.Licensing.LicensingService.ActivateOnline(String serialNumber)
I can switch the base monitor back to localhost and activate the license successfully so I'm apparently missing something on the new server.  The new server is in a different sub-net but I think I've worked through all the firewall changes to give it access to the monitored servers. 

What am I missing?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Miker257Miker257 Posts: 15 Bronze 1
    I'm also seeing these in the Base Monitor.log:
    2020-05-04 17:37:31,273 [              7] WARN  RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Services.ActiveDirectoryConfigRepository - Failed to load credentials for domain hpl and no old-format entry was found.  No Credential Manager entries were found for SQL_Monitor_AD_ServiceAccount_hpl or SQL_Monitor_AD_ServiceAccount.
    2020-05-04 17:37:48,180 [             92] WARN  RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Services.ActiveDirectoryConfigRepository - Failed to load credentials for domain hpl and no old-format entry was found.  No Credential Manager entries were found for SQL_Monitor_AD_ServiceAccount_hpl or SQL_Monitor_AD_ServiceAccount.
    2020-05-04 17:37:48,243 [             92] WARN  RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Services.ActiveDirectoryConfigRepository - Failed to load credentials for domain hpl and no old-format entry was found.  No Credential Manager entries were found for SQL_Monitor_AD_ServiceAccount_hpl or SQL_Monitor_AD_ServiceAccount.
    2020-05-04 17:38:01,414 [             21] WARN  RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Providers.ProviderStatusLogger - Unknown error. HResult is -2146233088, status code is 5376
    2020-05-04 17:38:05,149 [             99] WARN  RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Providers.ProviderStatusLogger - Unknown error. HResult is -2146233088, status code is 5376

• Hi Mike,

When the activation fails, does it offer an alternative or manual activation process at all? If so, would you please try that? The below article contains some more info:

Martin, thanks for responding.  I attempted this cut-over again today.

I couldn't find any alternate or manual activation instructions in the SQL Monitor UI.  

I attempted the process in the link (e.g. navigating to the localhost:22221 address).  This address is not active on the new server with only the new install of the Base Monitor Service on it.  Attempting this on the original server that is hosting the SQL Monitor Web Service, gives me some options but none of them are for SQL Monitor, only for other RedGate products that are also installed on that server.  

I may be able to open up ports, etc. for the new server to access the RedGate Licensing service directly.
    What are the network access requirements necessary for the new Base Monitor server to be able to access the automatic RedGate Licensing service?

-Mike
    Thanks Martin.  Attempted this again today with your instructions for manual activation and it was successful.  

-Mike
  • Very glad to hear that! Please let us know if you run into anything else.