network name not found or not connect

Hi, 
I copied several Red Gate projects to a new server and put them on the D: drive.  At first I was able to open and run them on my local instance of SQL Server, save the project, and then run them on a remote TEST server and close without saving the project.

Now when I open the project, I think it will let me make some little edits and Save the Project, but when I try to "Edit the Project" to look at the pre and post scripts, suddenly it errors with something about network name not found or not connect and it automatically comes up to send the error message to Red Gate which I've done a couple times.  It then automatically closes the project though and I can't seem to Edit so I can go on to Generate Data.

Any suggestions?  I am updated to the latest version of Data Generator, etc. as far as I know.

Best Answer

• MijMij Posts: 23 Bronze 1
    Answer ✓
    Our Systems Architect discovered the issue.  He read the error message that gets sent to Red Gate.  We discovered that where initially I had set up the projects and imported the scripts from a network folder, occasionally I had trouble with the network folder disconnecting so I moved copies of the projects to the local drive on my dev servers.  Our architect found that the project was still trying to reference the imported scripts from the network shared drive instead of the local drive and that was causing the "network name cannot be found" error.  Once I went to the project on the network folder and deleted all the scripts, then re-imported them into the local project (that I had copied over again) from the local folder, then the projects began working again and I had no issue when clicking the 'Edit Project...' button.

Answers

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Mij, thank you for your forum post.

Myself and a colleague are unable to replicate the fault symptoms.

The SQL Data Generator project file is an xml file, if you open the file using xml editor or Notepad++, you should see something like the following:

<DataSource version="4" type="LiveDatabaseSource">
        <ServerName>server\namedInstance</ServerName>
            <DatabaseName>dbName</DatabaseName>
        <Username />
        <SavePassword>False</SavePassword>
        <Password />
        <ScriptFolderLocation />
        <MigrationsFolderLocation />
        <AuthenticationType>WindowsIntegrated</AuthenticationType>
      </DataSource>

Is the ServerName and DatabaseName correct?

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
    The server name and database name are correct in the project file.  When it says 'network' does that mean server?  I'm still not sure what is wrong.  A short time ago I installed the newest Sql Server Management Studio version and it said it didn't recognize that version, so I reinstalled the Red Gate tools.  After that, I thought it was working again, but now this problem where it says the network name or connection is not known or right or something.
    I went to reinstall the Red Gate tools again, but the installer says that the current version of pretty much everything is already installed.  Does it matter if I have to run the installer from a special server site that our network team has provided to me?  I thought it was working for a short time after I installed it on this newer AWS server before the 'Edit Project' problem started.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi,
    Thank you for your replies.
    The fact that you are installing from a special server site should not matter.

Likewise the version of SSMS should not matter as SQL Data Generator is a stand-alone tool not dependent on the version of SSMS installed.

The recent release of SSMS 18.5 did cause us at Redgate some issues as there were some changes within SSMS that prevented our tools that plug into SSMS from operating.

Do you know the version of SQL Data Generator that created the projects files in question?  As there maybe some underlying change to the xml for the projects files that I am not aware?

Are you able to successfully create and save new SQL Data Generator project files? 

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
    Now it will not even load the first time when I say "Open Project...".

These first two projects I began several versions of SQL Data Generator ago but they were working ok up until the recent version.
    This time the problem was that I could not connect to my SQL instance on that AWS DEV server.  Now that is fixed and I can again load the first two projects but when I click on "Edit Project..." they again say "network name not found" and error and close.

I was able to start a new project on a new database and save it, then click on "Edit Project..." and it opened the SQL instance and database and had script and options.  

I'm not sure what is wrong with the first two projects or if I will have to recreate them.  That could take a fair amount of effort.
    This is happening with the same data generator project on two different servers with two different SQL instances.