Options

Feature Usage - can't open reports

I've enabled the Feature Usage Reporting in my project and it seems the app is producing some reports, but when I try to view them an error pops up in SA, saying the reports can't be imported and instead they're saved in ProgramData. Trying to open them up from there results in the following error message:

> Selected error report was not imported, because it is associated with a project that couldn't be found in the current database. Make sure SmartAssembly is connected to the same database used to build that project and try again.

I can receive and browse Exception Reports from the same build. Any ideas why this would be happening?

Also, when enabling Feature Usage Reporting, do I need to separately distribute a DLL with the standard consent dialog? The dialog never pops up when I run the app, so I've manually edited the registry key that enables reporting.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4

Hi @lukasz!

It's unfortunately difficult to say what's caused this at first look. Is there any chance that you were connected to a different database for one of your builds of that project?

Regarding the Feature Usage Reporting, you shouldn't need to distribute a separate assembly with the consent dialog. Can I just confirm which template you're using? Is the consent dialog not appearing even when running your assembly for the first time on a machine?

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    lukaszlukasz Posts: 7 Bronze 1
    Hi Jessica, thanks for your answer.

I'm not sure what happened, but it started working all of a sudden. The usage reports are decrypted and displayed correctly and this seems to include reports that wouldn't open the other day. I thought perhaps this had to do with timezone difference between our build server (where SA database is) and where the test build was deployed to (it's a few hours ahead), but right now reports become available as soon as the application is closed. No idea where the initial hiccups came from, the SQLite DB we're using certainly hasn't changed.

The other issue is still unresolved though - no consent dialog displayed. I'm trying to use the default dialog. If I go with the "first run" option, the SmartAssemblyReportUsage key is created on startup with value False. The "second run" option first creates the key with value Unknown, then on second run changes it to False.

Are you able to give me some details on how showing the consent dialog is actually injected into WPF applications? Our application has a custom startup routine that shows a splash screen and delays main window until app intiialization is complete - I'm wondering if this sort of thing might prevent your consent dialog from showing?

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4

Hiya @lukasz

Thanks for the update, I'm glad you're able to read the reports again! I would agree that it seems like there may have just been an issue reading the database at the time though it's not clear why unfortunately!

Regarding the consent screen, would you be able to do a quick test for me as I'm curious if this would happen with all applications on the machine: If you create a simple console application, add FUR with the "first run" setting, and then run it, does it display the consent dialog as expected on the first run?

Thank you!

Jessica Ramos

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?