Recommend way to synchronize databases automatically

The scenario we have is, there are 2 data bases with the same scheme on different servers.  We would like to synchronize the data (minus a few tables) nightly and have it run automatically.

What I have come across that seems like the easiest way is to use Data Compare command line with a saved project of the tables we want, and have it run on our TFS server.  Is there a better way to do synchronization for this scenario?  

Best Answer

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4

Hi @DHETC!

Using the command line either with a project -or- using the /include and /exclude switches to exclude the unnecessary tables sounds like a suitable approach. :)

Can I just check if there was anything in particular that was missing or not working for you with this process?

(Just want to add a note for new users that may come across the post: using the SQL Data Compare command line from a build or release server requires a license of SQL Change Automation, or the SQL Toolbelt.) 

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• DHETCDHETC Posts: 3 New member
    Everything is working for me, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better/simpler solution (not that the command line is complex).
  • Resc26Resc26 Posts: 1 New member
    I have two databases on a QA Test environment, not on my local machine. If I create a batch file to invoke SQL Compare and script out s1 and s2 dbs , do I have to pass in sign in credentials to be able to run the command to sync them?