Unable to get line numbers in error report stack traces

Hello, I am using latest SmartAssembly and .NET WPF project. I am testing error reporting feature and no matter what I do I can't get any line numbers in stack traces. I tried obfuscating release as well as debug version of the app, configured error reporting per documentation (and I can get the report just fine), generate PDB file in SmartAssembly. All I get is a standard stacktrace I would normally get when running an obfuscated app. Any ideas on the next things to try?

SmartAssembly: 7.3
.NET: 4.8, WPF project
Windows 10, VS 2019 (latest  as of today)

thank you
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    edited March 20, 2020 7:11PM Answer ✓
    Hope that helps, @NetWiggle!

And so sorry the requirement isn't clear, I'll make a request to add a note somewhere that says the pdb files will be needed to see the line number in error reports.

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Ah, my mistake - there is already a note in the GUI but I'll request we add something to the documentation.

Answers

Hi @NetWiggle !

Just to confirm, is it showing the message "The line number is not available. A PDB file was not provided when SmartAssembly processed the assembly." in the stack trace?

Do you have the original pdb file available, and is it located alongside the main assembly?

(You will actually need the original pdb files created by Visual Studio to get the line numbers in your error reports. The  one created by the "generate debug info" option will just create a new pdb file to go along with the newly obfuscated assembly.)

• NetWiggleNetWiggle Posts: 4 Bronze 2
    thanks for response. No, there is no message - just no line numbers.

I did not include original PDB files when deployed - I did not see that in the documentation. I will try that again and will let you know. Thanks
  • NetWiggleNetWiggle Posts: 4 Bronze 2
    Thank you for all the information. I am unable to test this at the moment but will do so when I get a chance. thanks
    Hi @NetWiggle ,

Just wanted to let you know that we've added a note about pdb files to the documentation here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/sa7/setting-up-error-reporting

Thanks for helping bring this about. :)