Smart Rename Fails

Grant FritcheyGrant Fritchey Posts: 72
edited March 15, 2007 12:21PM in SQL Refactor Previous Versions
Last night while doing a presentation of the tool in front of a users group, I tried to rename a column using Smart Rename. The window opened and I was able to type in a new name for the column. When I clicked on the next button, the action plan window started to open and then everything just went away. I tried it a couple of times and it kept failing.

This morning, same machine, I went to try to replicate the problem and it's working fine. I'm not sure of anything you can do because I can't make the problem happen again, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Comments

• Granted,

Sorry about this error, I understand the frustration of having software fail in the middle of a presentation. We think this issue was to do with renaming objects where they were referenced by stored procedures which contained cross database joins. Could this be the case?

If so we have our point release going out next week (fingers crossed) which should fix this issue.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Sorry about this error, I understand the frustration of having software fail in the middle of a presentation. We think this issue was to do with renaming objects where they were referenced by stored procedures which contained cross database joins. Could this be the case?
    Good luck on the release. I'll be downloading as soon as it's available.

I was using AdventureWorks when I ran into the problem. I just tried it out again, just now, clicking on the same table as last night (I didn't do that this morning). It's the ErrorLog table. I'm not aware of any cross database queries in AdventureWorks, but it might be possible.

It doesn't matter much. I was able to get along just fine and I'll try it out first thing with the new release.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Grant
  • Hi Grant,

Okay I will check this out, which AdventureWorks? SQL2000 or 2005?

What column are you renaming, and what are you renaming the column too?

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • No real urgency on this, but, just in case:

ErrorLog.ErrorTime

I was renaming it to ErrorTime2