SQL Search constantly re-indexing the database

I recently re-installed the SQL Developer Bundle. SQL search sometimes works, but more frequently, it gets into a state where every time I search, it re-indexes the database and fails to find the search term.

Is this a known issue with a fix?

Answers

• Hi @ThomasYee

What version of SQL Search do you have? Can you upgrade to the latest version and check again if not already?

If problem persists, could you confirm 
    - Sql server version
    - does it happen with every Sql server or database
    - does the workaround of opening search before connecting work?
    Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • ThomasYeeThomasYee Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    In case there are DLL incompatibilities, here is a list of all RedGate products, both licensed and unlicensed, that are installed on my computer:
    SQL Test 4, 4.0.1.952; SQL Source Control 7, 7.1.12.10363; SQL Search 3, 3.4.2.2567; SQL Prompt 10, 10.1.0.13908; SQL Multi Script 1, 1.5.0.1355; SQL Doc 5, 5.0.9,2179; SQL Doc 3, 3.1.2.765; SQL Dependency Tracker 3, 3.2.6.1789; SQL Dependency Tracker 2, 2.8.8.523; SQL Data Generator 4, 4.3.1.2192; SQK Data Generator 3, 3.1.8.995; SQL Data Compare 14, 14.1.7.14336; SQL Data Compare 12, 12.0.33.3389; SQL Compare 14, 14.1.7.14336; SQL Compare 12, 12.0.33.3389

That's a long list of new and old versions; and, as I said, my company has only licensed a fraction of them. Could I maybe be experiencing a bad case of DLL Hell here with incompatible DLLs fighting each other?
  • Would you be able to share your SQL Search logs? Hopefully it'll shed some lights on this issue.

Thanks. 
    Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • ThomasYeeThomasYee Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    I uninstalled all of the old copies of the tools, leaving just the latest versions, and now SQL Search is working fine. I think the problem may indeed have been the presence of incompatible DLLs either not being distinguished by strong names, or by strong names being bypassed by binding redirects. Thanks for your help! Your questions (although they ultimately didn't work out) had me thinking in directions that my brain hadn't been going! :-)