Required access to master..sysservers

ralphtrickeyralphtrickey Posts: 6 Bronze 2
edited May 9, 2008 12:12PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Is it possible to not require access to master..sysservers? There are a couple of machines where I don't have permission to access that table, and the dbas aren't likely to grant me access to it.

It appears as though if access to that table fails, than the entire schema caching/refresh fails.

Ralph

Comments

• Unfortunately you have to be a member of a group that has read access to this table in order for Prompt to work.
    Chris Buckingham
    Red-Gate support
  • ralphtrickeyralphtrickey Posts: 6 Bronze 2
    Unfortunately you have to be a member of a group that has read access to this table in order for Prompt to work.
    Why?
  • echovaultechovault Posts: 3 New member
    Why indeed.

I’m sad to say that I let myself become so dependent on SQL Prompt as a top-of-the-line developer tool, since it seems the direction being taken is for administrators, rather than developers. I can tell you that line-for-line I write a thousand times more SQL code than any DBA in our organization. Administrative tasks are well defined and the code already standardized. The beauty of a tool like SQL Prompt is for developers to quickly write nicely formatted code to solve problems beyond the scope of database administration. It’s unfortunate to see that change.

Hopefully a ping on this will bring it back to SOMEBODY's attention.