Options

Error connecting database to a new, cloned Git repository, it says it has pending changes

I created an empty Git repository, cloned it using Github Desktop for windows, and when I specify the target folder while connecting it to a database I get the following error:

The repository has pending changes. You need to commit or stash the changes before linking.

But there are no pending changes to commit, it is a new empty repository with only a readme. Github Desktop reports there are no pending changes.

I am using 7.1.5.10110

Thanks.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    If you run "git status" on the command line from the repository you're trying to link to does it also says there's nothing to commit?
    If that's the case could you please contact support and send the folder for your repository?
  • Options
    "me too" on this. Brand new repository. git status = "nothing to commit, working tree clean"
    I've uninstalled Redgate source control, deleted the folder in appdata, tried again - same issue.

• Options
    BugmeisterBugmeister Posts: 21 New member
    Me too on this as well.  Definitely nothing showing in git "status", nothing to git "stash" etc.
  • Options
    vetrpavetrpa Posts: 5 New member
    We are having the same issue here with the message. Tried the git status and nothing is stashed or pending. clean. 

On branch development

Your branch is up to date with 'origin/development'.

nothing to commit, working tree clean

Sounds like this might be a bug, unless anyone has found a way to resolve this?  We are using GIT for the source control.  If I select to use just a working directory during the setup process, it works, but then we don't get the "pull repository" button and would have to manage using the source control features outside of SSMS which is NOT what we desire.

• Options
    @vetpra could you please contact support and send your git folder so we can try having a look?
  • Options
    @Diogo, Okay, I sent a support ticket just now.
  • Options
    Okay, just an update (after the support ticket). Mine is now resolved. Turned out it was related the VM having Redgate/Windows and GIT, along with the Mac having the actual shared repository and GIT.  The GIT from the Windows turned out to have unstaged files that were not showing up in the GIT under the Mac.  One those unstaged files were removed, it worked.
  • Options
    dhtuckerdhtucker Posts: 41 Bronze 3
    Same complaint (v7.1.12.10363) In response to "git status" I see:

On branch master
    Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'
    Untracked files:
      (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
          develop/
          rc/
          master/

nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)

My primary scripts directory (being referenced above) is:
    C:\Users\dtucker\Documents\Schema.RSMS

SourceTree populates this folder with whatever I've selected as my current branch.  ALSO contained in this folder are three subfolders, which allow me to pull representations of 'develop', 'rc', and 'master' branches for comparison, and for use by SSC-linked databases representing each of those branches.

So yes, my scripts folder contains untracked files (folders, actually) which I don't want tracked.  Is SSC mistaking these for "pending changes"?
    Doug Tucker
    Database Administrator / Software Engineer
    Nelnet Business Solutions - FACTS-SIS
  • Options
    paupinpaupin Posts: 1 New member
    So yes I confirm. I have unversionned file il my repository. When I try to link, I get this error. I remove the file, I can link. And I can add the file after that. Why does redgate care that I have unversionned files in my repository. That's a bug for me.
  • Options
    dhtuckerdhtucker Posts: 41 Bronze 3
    Just tried this again using v7.2.4.11418, error remains unresolved.  In response to "git status" I see:
    $ git status
    On branch master
    Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

Untracked files:

develop/
            master/
            rc/

It's mistaking untracked files for pending changes.
    Doug Tucker
    Database Administrator / Software Engineer
    Nelnet Business Solutions - FACTS-SIS
  • Options
    chuckchuck Posts: 29 Bronze 2
    dhtucker said:
    Just tried this again using v7.2.4.11418, error remains unresolved.  In response to "git status" I see:
    $ git status
    On branch master
    Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

Untracked files:

develop/
            master/
            rc/

It's mistaking untracked files for pending changes.

You are right, I saved the sql compare project file under the sql source control git repository which is untracked file for git. And move the project file of sql compare to another folder solve this problem.