SQL Search - Unusable (grayed out)

My SQL Search is not allowing me to provide an object value.  Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.  I haven't been able to identify a pattern of when and when it does not work.

I have tried re-installing.

SSMS (v18.2)

SQL Search

Is anyone else having this issue?  Any suggestions?  
Tagged:

Answers

• Morning!
    We've found that if you open the SQL Search tab before connecting to the database, the tool should work as expected.

Can you try this and confirm this is the case on your end as well?

Sean Quigley | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• anthony43anthony43 Posts: 1 New member
    I'm having the exact same issue; the search text box is greyed out, and it's been consistent. It works in SSMS 17, but not 18.

SSMS v18.3.1 (15.0.18183.0), dark theme turned on
    SQL Search v3.3.1.2410

Opening SQL Search before connecting to the database doesn't help.

• cd7283cd7283 Posts: 1 Bronze 1
    edited October 15, 2019 5:18PM
    exact same issue. Started when i went from 18.1 to 18.3.1 . Opening Search before connection to DB does not work for me either.  Did a fresh install (uninstall/Install) and it started working but did not the next day.  I cant find a pattern either.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    I have the same issue.   I have found that if I open it when I first start SSMS, it is no problem.  It is only later, when I want to search for something that I open Search and everything is grayed out.  SSMS v18.3.1, Search v3.2.7.2379

squigley said:
    Morning!
    We've found that if you open the SQL Search tab before connecting to the database, the tool should work as expected.

• xbradtxbradt Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    squigley said:
    Morning!

I'm still having the same issue occur irregularly.  
  • bmarubmaru Posts: 1 New member
    squigley said:
    Morning!

I am still facing the same issue. SQL Search tab is still grayed out. Opening SQL Search before connecting to a db does not help. Have reinstalled several times.
  • simoncsimonc Posts: 5 New member
    Hello All,
    I think
    " open the SQL Search tab before connecting to the database "

should read...
    " open the SQL Search tab before connecting to the server "
    i.e. when starting SSMS and prompted to Connect to server, press Cancel, then Click SQL Search tab. This worked for me.. subsequently did not need to do that as effect persisted.
  • forenheithforenheith Posts: 2 New member
    edited November 12, 2019 11:30AM
    " open the SQL Search tab before connecting to the database "

should read...

Doesn't work. When will this be fixed?

simonc said:
    i.e. when starting SSMS and prompted to Connect to server, press Cancel, then Click SQL Search tab. This worked for me.. subsequently did not need to do that as effect persisted.
    After updating to SSMS 18.4 had to do again..
  • VasimVasim Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Same problem here had to do it 2 times in different order
    And again after yesterday's Microsoft updates... 
    With 1909 to come... will see if need to do again :|
  • Fishbait57Fishbait57 Posts: 1 New member
    edited January 6, 2020 7:37PM
    I have the same problem. I tried launching SQL Search before connecting to the database but it is still grayed out.
  • EgersEgers Posts: 1 New member
    Has there been any resolution to this issue?  I just started having the same issue, and nothing seems to fix it.  SSMS v18.4 and latest version of SQL search
  • ULRICHSULRICHS Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    I am using SSMS v18.2 and downloaded the latest version of SQL Search.
    While installing, the setup says that it is only compatible with version 2017 and older.
    I'm not able to install SQL Search on SSMS v18.2 at all.
    Any idea about that behaviour ?
  • amandaramandar Posts: 1 New member
    Same issue. Cannot use sql search as greyed out
  • forenheithforenheith Posts: 2 New member
    I deleted this product year ago. The team abandoned this project, nobody has been answering here for a long time
  • So sorry to hear SQL Search hasn't been functioning properly! 

If you have any other Redgate plugins, please upgrade them to the latest version. Should problem persists, is it possible to share your SQL Search log so that we can investigate it further?

Thanks.
    Kind regards

Tianjiao Li | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Ales1234Ales1234 Posts: 1 New member
    Where can we send the logs so you can investigate the issue?
  • ronmichaelronmichael Posts: 2 New member
    For some reason I just started having this same exact issue. Opening SQL Search before connecting to any databases does seem to help. Not sure if it consistently fixes the problem but...
  • techvslifetechvslife Posts: 10 Bronze 2
    This is a long standing issue, but I'm not sure Redgate is still updating sql search. I find that repairing my redgate installation solves the problem (from Add/Remove Programs in Windows 10), but temporarily.

Note that I am using this version (3.5.0.2590):
    https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLSearch/SQLSearch_3.5.0.2590.exe 
    edited June 14, 2020 1:25AM
    (accidental duplicate post)
    edited June 14, 2020 1:25AM
  • fsarlengafsarlenga Posts: 1 New member
    I had the same issue with 18.5.1, here's what worked for me:
    1. Uninstall SQL Search
    2. Open SMS
    3. Login to a DB if you want
    4. Close it
    5. Install SQL Search
  • dwarwickdwarwick Posts: 1 New member
    I was having the same issue. All text boxes and combo boxes were grayed out. I disconnected from all servers.

Then reconnected to a server. After that, all text boxes and combo boxes became enabled right before my very eyes.

• mmooremmoore Posts: 36 Bronze 4
    squigley said:
    Morning!

This is a horrible solution to this problem.  When you open SSMS, it automatically prompts you to connect to a server.   So, we have to either connect, disconnect, open SQL Search and reconnect.  Or, Don't connect, open SQL Search the Connect.  Either way, I don't use the search feature all that often, so, HABIT is to Connect when SSMS starts.  I am hoping there is a fix coming soon for this.
    Mark Moore
    Software Engineer
    NTS Data Services, LLC
  • JRGernerJRGerner Posts: 1 New member
    +1 to squigley for the helpul tip.  Agree with mmoore that this is a poor workaround and needs to be fixed asap.
  • jcarentonjcarenton Posts: 1 New member
    +1 The same applies to me, I have to regularly start SQL Search before connecting to a database, otherwise SQL Search is unusable. This is likely to happen during a forced restart of Windows, at the initiative of Windows Update for example.