SQL Change Automation with PowerShell Core

For our Jenkins agents we use for our CI builds, we are moving away from Windows hosts to Linux hosts due to costs. We currently are using the SQL Change Automation 3.x product for some of our database deployments. Is there a version of SQL Change Automation that works with PowerShell Core rather than plain PowerShell?

Best Answer

Answers

• @AlbertWong - we have longer term plans to provide cross-OS capabilities across our tools. Can I ask what the level of urgency is with regards to moving away from Windows hosts?

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • AlbertWongAlbertWong Posts: 7 New member
    There is currently no urgency. My management does want to move to Linux hosts due to costs, as I mentioned. Our Jenkins agents are running on both Windows and Linux, but there'll be a time when management won't want to license new Windows servers for jenkins agents. At that point, we'll have to figure out a way off the SQL Change Automation process.

I was thinking if the SQL Change Automation ran under PowerShell Core, we'd install PowerShell Core on our Linux agents and use those for deployments.
  • @AlbertWong - That's good to know. Hopefully we can demonstrate some progress in this direction later this year! Do get in touch if it becomes more urgent.

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Hey @David Atkinson, has there been any progress on this? We're in a similar situation where we are trying to use Linux hosts 
  • Hi @njkroes1 - I'm working with @David Atkinson on this.  We have a preview of Redgate Change Control available for SQL Server.  Redgate Change Control is a from-the-ground-up rewrite of our versioning solution that will be x-db (currently supports Oracle, SQL Server in preview, and plans for Postgres and My SQL in 2022).  It's also designed to be x-platform and uses Flyway for deployments, which is x-platform and has a docker container.

As this is our first preview, we are eager to get feedback from the beginning. It's still very early and we expect many changes, including the name!

If you wanted to give it a try, you can download the most recent installer and check out the docs.

If you are interested in joining us for a research call, please sign up for an available time at https://calendly.com/d/gyj5-d4bp/redgate-devops-preview-research-call?month=2021-09.  

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you!
    Stephanie M. Herr    :-)
    Product Manager Database DevOps
  • @StephanieHerr Oh thanks for the heads up! Is Redgate Change Control going to be script based instead of state based? 

What's the plan for SQL Source Control in the future? Is that going to be phased out and should we plan to move away from that?