Compare External Tables

Is there an option for SQL compare to check differences across databases for external (elastic) tables. I'm on v14 and it seems to think they are local tables. Doesnt seem to compare External Data Sources. My databases are all Azure managed instances. thanks
Tagged:

Best Answer

• KarlBKarlB Posts: 20 Bronze 3
    Hi Gavin,

Thank you for reaching out to raise this query with redgate.

I can confirm that currently SQL Compare does not support Azure external tables. This isn't the first time this query has popped up though, I would recommend going to our SQL Compare User Voice Here and searching for 'Add support for External Tables' and adding your support for this feature request. The bigger the support, the better the chance the feature has for our developers to review.
    Kind regards
    Karl Boldy | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• AjeetAjeet Posts: 1 New member
    Hi Team,

Can I use RedGate to compare external database? For example in my organisation there are multiple IT vendors and we need to compare few on-premise Databases which we don't own but have access in place.
    If this functionality isn't there then can you please suggest some alternative.

Thanks in advance :-)  
  • Hi @Ajeet ,

Just to be clear for other readers, this question about external databases is quite different from the topic of "External Tables" which started this thread. 

SQL Compare gives you a variety of options for comparing -- you can compare databases to other databases, to scripts, to snapshots of databases, etc.

Depending on how your access to these databases works, there should be some way to do the comparison. For instance if you can connect via a VPN you might simply be able to compare the databases directly in the SQL Compare GUI. If there are more restrictions on how you connection, you might do something like write out one database to a scripts folder and then compare that scripts folder to the database on the other end-- but you do have a variety of options.

Hope this helps,
    Kendra