Unable to compare specific database objetcs

igorigor Posts: 4
edited September 6, 2007 6:42AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hello!

I have started using SQL Compare 5.3.0.44. I am trying to find out whether I am able to compare spceific database objects. This feature was available in previous versions. Currently, I am only unable to compare entire database.

Thanks,
Igor

Comments

• Hi igor,

Can you tell me what previous version of SQL Compare you were using? Recent version of SQL Compare have always compared the entire database, but have then allowed you to cut down the objects that you are viewing using filters.

In SQL Compare 5.3.0.44, the object filters panel can be accessed using the Actions > Fitler Objects menu option.

Kind regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Hello Jonathan,

I was using SQL Compare 1.60 before and was able to select objects before running comparison. I find it incovenient that I need to run comparison for entire database (especially if it is very big). Quite often I need to compare only certain objects. Running comparison for entire database might be very time consuming.

Thanks,
    Igor
  • Igor,

SQL Compare 5 is much faster than SQL Compare 1.6 you should win back any time you would lose by not having the old functionality. We removed that bit of functionality because it was only ever a workaround for the speed issues we had in v 1.6.

I hope this explains our thinking in removing this feature from SQL Compare.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Jonathan,

I understand your point. Still, when running comparison of the databases located in disparate (potentially slow) networks, it would be nice to have a flexibility of picking only particular objects for comparison. I am personally going to miss this feaure :(

Thanks,
    Igor
  • Removing this feature was a TERRIBLE idea, and it should be brought back in SQL Compare 6. I have to compare ERP databases between our Development and Test environments (we're a manufacturing company), and the "Registering Databases" step alone takes 35 minutes. Many times all I need to do is compare changes to tables, or stored procedures, or triggers, and NOT the entire database.
  • Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd