DB permissions required

In the " Deploy database changes from from artifacts" step..what are the permissions required by the Account (either windows authentication or SQL authentication" ) on the target DB and target DB server?

Does it need db_owner? If not , what are the permissions required?
Tagged:

Answers

• mkumarmkumar Posts: 8 New member
    Use Windows authenticator and run the release or deploy it I mean. When you come across the error showing the profile or account you are using has failed to login, contact your DBA. Provide him with the details and let him know what are you trying to do. He will have your profile/account access be granted and hence, you can see a success in your deployment.
  • sasankjsasankj Posts: 23 New member
    I already did, and the DBA is asking me the permissions that need to be granted. 
    Ask him to grant the account/profile (example d2rddb) access to the server and the database as well [for that profile/account]

Also, do you know what type of output are we looking for? I got the access and it was a success. Now what would be the next step? I tried executing a non-destructive script and deployment was a success. How do I conclude the output? where do I check the output? I am trying to perform CICD operation for the data scripts. Will the DBA have to check manually to see the script is being executed on the server or something?
  • sasankjsasankj Posts: 23 New member
    mkumar said:
    Ask him to grant the account/profile (example d2rddb) access to the server and the database as well [for that profile/account]

I am not quite sure about this permissions? Is it db_owner?
    sasankj said:
    mkumar said:

I am not quite sure about this permissions? Is it db_owner?
    Ask DB lead who controls the permissions. Generally they are limited to the DB team and Dev team who work on the database part. If there is no dedicated DevOps team then it is the DBA who handles all the permissions. They will have to provide you with access for the profile you want to use or give you a service account where you can test the scripts
  • Hello @sasankj ,

Thanks for your query regarding SQL Change Automation. The permissions required varies case to case and depends on the objects in the database and what you're trying to deploy.

You can reference the documentation below which gives some recommendations:

https://documentation.red-gate.com/sc/getting-started/requirements/permissions-required-to-use-sql-compare

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Pete Ruiz

Product Support Engineer