"Specified cast is not valid"

michaell1999michaell1999 Posts: 4
edited April 24, 2007 7:22AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
SQL server 2000. Error occurs when reading permissions. Specific to one database, others on same server work OK. SQL Compare 5.3

Used SQL Compare 3.1.5 in the past no problem.

Comments

• Local database and logging in as sa
  • Hi there,

As you are sa this is a rather worrying problem as my first response would be that you have a permissions issue. Are you able to supply us with a copy of the database schema so that we can take a closer look at your problem?

If this is not possible could you run a trace with SQL Profiler whilst you are attempting to connect to the database with SQL Compare and email the result to jonathan [dot] watts [at] red [dash] gate [dot] com.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • I sent the profiler trace
  • Was there ever any follow up to this particular issue? I appear to be running into almost the exact same problem.

Same version of the sql compare: 5.3
    Same version of SQL database: SQL server 2000

Happening with a specific database after I had made schema changes and then attempting to compare the. Previously I was able to successfully use the compare tool with this database so I assume it must be in the changes I made.
  • After reading through the details of the first post in the thread I notice my issue is slightly different. When doing the compare my 'Specified cast is not valid' error appears to occur in the 'Registering databases' -> 'Reading tables' step

Not sure if that will be of any additional assistance but I thought I'd bring it up
  • Hi TSRife.

Can you confirm that you are running as sa or as dbo of the database?

Thanks,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Jonathan,

I have verified that I am running under as dbo for the database in question. This is a development database so we have full control. Per your request earlier in the thread I have forwarded a SQL profiler trace file to your address provided in case that would offer any insight.
  • Hi there,

Sorry about the delay in replying. I have sent you an email with some futher instructions for debuging your problem.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd