All constraints scripted, not just missing ones

freddy12345freddy12345 Posts: 19 Bronze 2
edited March 13, 2007 12:45PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi,

we're using sql compare to synch 2 DBs. We notice that the synch script adds ALL constraints for the tables on the destination DB -- not just the missing constraints. This gives errors that need to be manually debugged.

(is this clear enough?)

Looks like a flaw. What do you think?

thanks,

Fred

Comments

• Hey Fred,

I am afraid that we may need a bit more information to diagnose your problem. What you appear to be saying that SQL Compare is scripting both the missing constraints and also the constraints that already exist in the target database. Unfortunately this is not something that we have seen before.

Is it possible for you to post an example table script that demostrates the problem?

Also please can you tell me what version of SQL Compare and SQL Server you are running and what SQL Compare options you are using.

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • freddy12345freddy12345 Posts: 19 Bronze 2
    Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your response. The person who is actually doing this explains further:

"The problem is that the script doesn’t drop all constraints first, so running the script gives errors."

does this clarify?

Fred
  • Hi Fred,

We haven't seen this in our day to day testing of SQL Compare, whilst we believe that we cover a lot of scenarios there is a chance that you have hit an edge case were we have missed something.

The trouble is that there are so many combinations of constraints it is going to be difficult to debug this situation without an example in SQL, or a description detailing what type of constraints are being used, what columns they are on, how many there are etc.

The following information will also be useful:

SQL Compare version
    SQL Compare options
    SQL Server version

Thanks,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • freddy12345freddy12345 Posts: 19 Bronze 2
    Jonathan,

sorry, i forgot to include the other info you requested.

sql compare 5, ver 5.3.0.44
    sql server 2005, sp1

my boss asked me to duplicate this on my own, and follow thru with you. so, i'll be getting back to you on this!

thanks so much,

Fred