SQL Search broken

ZequelZequel Posts: 2 Bronze 1
edited December 2, 2019 1:43PM in SQL Search
Installed SQL Search auto-update today. BROKEN. No search terms return results. See attached screenshot. Thanks.
Log error:
02 Dec 2019 08:41:48.597 [89] ERROR DatabaseObjectIndexer - Exception while indexing database FILERS: 
System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'sqlite3_open_interop' in DLL 'SQLite.Interop.dll'.
   at System.Data.SQLite.UnsafeNativeMethods.sqlite3_open_interop(Byte[] utf8Filename, Byte[] vfsName, SQLiteOpenFlagsEnum flags, Int32 extFuncs, IntPtr& db)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Open(String strFilename, String vfsName, SQLiteConnectionFlags connectionFlags, SQLiteOpenFlagsEnum openFlags, Int32 maxPoolSize, Boolean usePool)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection.Open()
   at RedGate.SQLSearch.Indexing.SQLite.SqliteDatabaseConnection.EnsureConnectionOpen()
   at RedGate.SQLSearch.Indexing.SQLite.SqliteDatabaseConnection.CreateCommand()
   at RedGate.SQLSearch.Indexing.SQLite.DatabaseObjectStorage.Initialise()
   at RedGate.SQLSearch.Indexing.DatabaseObjectIndexer.Index(CancellationToken )

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    We're having a look at this issue now. Can I check which versions of SQL Source Control and SQL Prompt you both have? You may be able to resolve the problem by updating to the latest versions of both of these other tools. If you've got a support contract I also advise that you send an email in to support@red-gate.com with these details as this will help us keep track and keep you updated more easily.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software

Answers

• EarlEarl Posts: 7 New member
    edited December 2, 2019 6:00PM
    I just installed the 3.4.0.2481 SQL Search update this morning and now no values are found for terms that I can prove are in the instance.  Does this update only work with a new version of SSMS or newer versions of SS than 11.0.7001.0? I'm not seeing any errors as mentioned in the original post.  I did try reindexing, but no terms are found.  I found a similar post from March and another thread started today on this same topic.  Each of the threads says SQL Search can quite working after being updated if there are other products installed that have not also been updated.  I have SQL Source Control installed and I found two updates for it.  I'm installed those now and then I will retry SQL Search and post an update here.
    I installed two SQL Source Control updates but SQL Search still is not working.  I found the log file for SQL Search and I found similar messages as in this original post:

02 Dec 2019 11:57:51.245 [81] ERROR DatabaseObjectIndexer - Exception while indexing database marginmax_engine: 
    System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'sqlite3_open_interop' in DLL 'SQLite.Interop.dll'.
       at System.Data.SQLite.UnsafeNativeMethods.sqlite3_open_interop(Byte[] utf8Filename, Byte[] vfsName, SQLiteOpenFlagsEnum flags, Int32 extFuncs, IntPtr& db)
       at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Open(String strFilename, String vfsName, SQLiteConnectionFlags connectionFlags, SQLiteOpenFlagsEnum openFlags, Int32 maxPoolSize, Boolean usePool)
       at RedGate.SQLSearch.Indexing.SQLite.SqliteDatabaseConnection.EnsureConnectionOpen()
    edited December 3, 2019 2:21PM
    SQL Test is 1.5.2.448 Unlicensed Trial.  I don't use this.  SQL Search is 3.4.0.2481.  I do use this.  SQL Source Control is 7.1.2.10022.  I use this.  SQL Doc 3 is 3.0.3.9.  I don't use this.  SQL Dependency Tracker 0 is 2.8.1.182.  I don't use this.  I did email support and I received a response.  I updated all of the RedGate products that show as installed, but SQL Search is still not finding search values that it should find.  RedGate support emailed a link to a toolbelt product that I need to install and try.  I got busy with work yesterday and didn't finish troubleshooting.

Still seeing this in the log:

03 Dec 2019 08:19:10.531 [66] ERROR DatabaseObjectIndexer - Exception while indexing database sync_registry: 
  • ZequelZequel Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    SQL Prompt 9.2.8.6358 -> 10.0.3
    SQL Source Control 7.0.4.8725, updated to 7.1

Fixed the issue, thank you.
    edited December 3, 2019 4:05PM
    What to do if SQL Prompt is not installed?  I had a post that included the my installed products and their version but that post was deleted some how. 
    I just noticed SQL Prompt was installed but the trial period has expired.  That version is below.
    Maybe I need to uninstall the products that I'm not using or have expired.  It would be nice to know what will work.

Here are the products and versions again:
    SQL Search -> 3.4.0.2481
    SQL Source Control -> 7.1.2.10022
    SQL Doc 3 -> 3.0.3.9
    SQL Prompt -> 6.4.1.156
    SQL Test -> 1.5.2.448
    SQL Dependency Tracker 0 -> 2.8.1.182

• dross0001dross0001 Posts: 3 New member
    How do I backout the update and use the previous version...?  This one doesn't work.
  • Unfortunately the problem is much more likely to be caused by a combination of product installs rather than the SQL Search version, so updating other products installed in SSMS is much more likely to help than attempting to roll back SQL Search; installing a previous version of SQL Search would just auto-update back to this version in any case.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
    Wow... I haven't upgraded to the newer versions... I'm on SQL prompt 7.5.1...  So going from 3.3 to 3.4 of a "Free" software broke it because of other major versions?  I just need to get back to work with what I have.
  • If you're not able to update SQL Prompt, you'll need to downgrade SQL Search to 3.2.7 and disable auto update of SQL Search. SQL Search 3.2.7 will prompt before updating to 3.3.0 or later, so if you:

- uninstall SQL Search 3.4.0
    - install SQL Search 3.2.7
    - run SSMS, open SQL Search, and choose No when SQL Search asks if you want to update
    - in the Help menu in the SQL Search pane, untick "Enable auto-updates"

then you should be able to use both SQL Search and SQL Prompt again.

Unfortunately, if different SSMS plugins use different versions of DLLs you can end up with this sort of conflict :/
    Software developer
    Redgate Software
    I responded in another thread that my issue was fixed by uninstalling the products that I was not licensed to use.  The trial license installed many products including SQL Prompt, and those products with expired licenses were not getting updated.  This is the root cause of why SQL Search wasn't working on my machine.  
    Mark R Thank you for your help, I uninstalled and re-installed 3.3 which did not work.  So I downloaded 3.0.7 (the newest in the "Download Old Versions" I could find) and it now works... If you could send me a link to the 3.2.7 version that would be great. I found a .package version of 3.2.7 but not sure what to do with that.
  • dross0001 - you can find the SQL Search 3.2.7 installer here: ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLSearch/31May2019/SQLSearch.exe

Software developer
    Redgate Software
  • CNC_MacrosCNC_Macros Posts: 3 New member
    Is sql search not working still an open issue? i am in the same boat. this is a very useful tool, i need this back and working!!
    This problem is due to different versions of RedGate products installed.  I updated all RedGate products that I had a license to use.  I uninstalled all RedGate trial products that wasn't licensed to use.  That fixed SQL Search for me.
  • sry Earl, I prompted to update sqlSearch, i am having trouble finding where i manually check for updates.
    edited December 13, 2019 10:21PM
    That is a fair question.  I open the RedGate product like Source Control and click on the top right Help.  Under there should be an option to check for updates.