How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

SQL Monitor unpingable cluster IP

Hi,

I would like to add SQL monitor (latest) to our setup in the Google Cloud Platform to monitor the SQL cluster (or in a pinch the SQL nodes individually). However after adding the node to it, it discovers the cluster and tries to add this to the setup. This fails with the error:  PingFailedException Ping failed

I figured this is because the actual Cluster IP is not pingable due to a limitation with virtual IPs on a load balancer within the Google Cloud setup. The Cluster IP can only really be used for SQL connections, and not much else. 

This document outlines the inability to ping a loadbalancer IP for the interested parties: https://cloud.google.com/load-balancing/docs/internal/setting-up-internal

Is there a way to circumvent this and make it so that I can monitor either the individual nodes (can be pinged as well) or add the cluster without the need for this check?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    edited November 29, 2019 3:37PM Answer ✓
    It isn't possible to add single nodes I'm afraid, no.
    Regarding GCP we don't support it; I remember that we did some work and testing on it a while ago to see if would work. I can't remember what the outcome was but I'll ask internally, it might have hit problems with their loadbalancers.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Bert_DWMBert_DWM Posts: 3 New member
    Thank you Russel, I had completely ignored that Azure manual as I, mistakenly, thought it was meant only to add servers via that special Azure Servers button. 

By checking this manual I was able to get it to work, simply by adding TCP 135 to the frontend config as is described in said manual. 

Issue is hereby solved, again thanks!

Answers