SmartAssembly has encountered an invalid symbol in xyz.dll

gyozobgyozob Posts: 3
edited May 23, 2016 11:41AM in SmartAssembly
Hello, please help me with the following error:

"SmartAssembly.InformationException: SmartAssembly has encountered an invalid symbol in xyz.dll:
[xyz]ClassName/<<.ctor>b__2>d__5
The most likely cause is that SmartAssembly has used a different version of a dependency from the version used by xyz.dll.
If the details below are wrong, please use the MandatoryPath attribute in the .saproj file to ensure that the correct version of the dependency is found.
Assembly containing invalid reference: F:path o\dllxyz.dll
Assembly that should contain the missing symbol: F:path o\dllxyz.dll
SmartAssembly has encountered an error while running your project.
Failed: SmartAssembly.InformationException: SmartAssembly has encountered an invalid symbol in xyz.dll:
[xyz]ClassName/<<.ctor>b__2>d__5
The most likely cause is that SmartAssembly has used a different version of a dependency from the version used by xyz.dll.
If the details below are wrong, please use the MandatoryPath attribute in the .saproj file to ensure that the correct version of the dependency is found.
Assembly containing invalid reference: F:path o\dllxyz.dll
Assembly that should contain the missing symbol: F:path o\dllxyz.dll
Please run SmartAssembly in User-Interface mode for more information."

I mention that I am using SmartAssembly version 6.9.

Thank you

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    So sorry to hear you're running into a build error with SmartAssembly!

With "invalid symbol" errors, it's often best if we can get a local reproduction of the issue to investigate with and find the cause. Would it be possible for you to share your assembly files with us or a cut down sample application that reproduces the error?

If so, I've opened up a support ticket for you (#63749). Can you kindly reply to the ticket confirmation email with the files? (In case the confirmation email doesn't get through, you can also email to us directly at support@red-gate.com.)

Thank you!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Hi, after I made several tests I have found out that the error is occurring because of using of async/await keywords.
    I also found this post reporting similar issue https://forums.red-gate.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=78247, is there any plan issue to fix this issue?
    In my code seems to fail at a code like:
    async (value, source, iter) =&gt; await AddAsync(value, iter)

Thank you
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thanks very much for the test assembly you've made!

As you've found though, I'm afraid this is a known issue that we've seen with async code before that unfortunately hasn't been resolved yet since it's still a relatively rare occurrence. :/ The only workaround for this is still as mentioned in that former post, which is to 'Create a private method and move all code from the explicit interface implementation to this method.'

So sorry as I know that changing your code is not ideal and this may make SmartAssembly unusable for you! Please let me know if you have any other questions at the moment.

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• I too have encountered this "invalid symbol" error, on multiple methods. So far have been able to work around this via private methods. And this did not happen until I updated to the current version. Was working on my prior version. But I can't say what that was, because I had to uninstall on my old PC & when I moved from Windows 7 to 10 & a new PC.
  • Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    Hi Benjamin, I can confirm that this bug was introduced after version 6.2, so if you had to update from this to any later version you will experience the bug.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • BrentSnyderBrentSnyder Posts: 1 New member
    edited November 15, 2019 9:12PM
    Has this been addressed yet.  I am currently running Smart Assembly 7.2 and received this for the first time.  It only happened however when I followed the instructions on how to use Smart Assembly 7 with the Click Once deployment option within Visual Studio.  the error occurred within EntityFramework.dll (await context.savechangesasync();)