Options

Side by side install of SQL Backup Dashboard

It's a major inconvenience that SQL Backup dashboard v10 will not provide information on SQL Server backup jobs running under older versions of SQL Backup.  If the job fails, I can't see the log/error message if the sql backup server component is an older version.  Is there a way I can install the older version of the sql backup tools and the new version.  I'd love to upgrade everything to the new version but this is a slow process that will take time and money so we can't just do it all at once.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options

Hi svollhardt,

Thank you for your question about SQL Backup, and sorry to see that you are running into trouble with seeing the backup history/logs from your older version.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to install the SQL Backup 7 GUI alongside the SQL Backup 10 as it will always force an upgrade.

For the your newer installation of SQL Backup with v10, can you please double check that you have upgraded the activity cache successfully when the new version was installed?

Even with a newer version of SQL Backup GUI it should still be possible to see the activity history of the jobs from an older version installation of the SQL Backup server components.

You can try recreating your activity cache with the steps below to see if that helps:

1. Close the SQL Backup GUI
    2. Navigate to this directory on the machine where the SQL backup GUI is installed: C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Red gate\SQL Backup\ServerData
    3. In this folder you will find one or more .dat files, for example 1.dat, 31.dat, localDataCache.dat.
    4. Delete all the *.dat files in the ServerData folder.
    5. On the machine where the SQL Instance is located stop the SQL Backup Agent service.
    6. Locate the SQL BackupLocal Data Store. The default path is as follows: C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data<SQL Instance name>
    7. Rename the existing data.sdf file to OLDdata.sdf.
    8. Restart the SQL Backup Agent Service, this step will create a new data.sdf.
    9. Now re-open the GUI. The *.dat files deleted in step 4 will be recreated. Are you now able to view the Activity History? Depending how much activity history there is you may need to wait for a while.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Mac Frierson | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?