Options

How do you profile a .NET Core website (REST API) running under IIS?

Specifically, this is a REST API, and I need to profile how it reacts as other client sites call into the APIs it offers.

I envision a solution of specifying the URL to my .NET Core REST API that I have hosted in IIS, with a button to start profiling, which I would click, and it would restart IIS (like it does when you do "IIS - ASP.NET"), and begin profiling the website.  Presumably it would stay running (just like an IIS website), and then I could launch my client site that calls into the REST API, and those calls would be profiled.

I've seen lots of responses about how to profile a .NET Core application, or even a website, but nothing about how to do this for a .NET Core website running under IIS.  And it is even more problematic that the website is a REST API, and isn't directly a website with pages in the traditional sense.

It is also interesting that when you start a new profiling session, you have the option for "IIS - ASP.NET", but nothing for "IIS - .NET Core website".  There is also a ".NET executable", and "Attach to .NET 4+ process", but not "Attach to .NET Core process"

I asked this earlier under the question "ant profiling .net api", back on September 9th, 2019, but never received an answer.

With the direction that architectures are going, this HAS to be a very common situation.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi @krue,

Thanks for your post and apologies that we missed your original question!

I'm very sorry to say that ANTS only supports profiling .NET Core standalone at the moment. We do plan to support IIS/IISE .NET Core profiling in subsequent versions but there is no time-frame yet as this is a major piece of work. We will post any updates to this here.

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?