Options

Cannot register 2005 objects

I have having a problem connecting to a SQL 2005 database. I am connecting on a VPN and all ports have been enabled to the target machine.

If I put in the IP address of the server, SQL Compare 5 will connect to give me a list of databases, but if I go to the next stage it fails to register the objects citing a Network failure.

If I use TCP:<ip address> it will not connect and fails to give me a list of databases. Also TCP:<ip address>,1433 fails to list dbs. The service is running on port 1433 and TCP/IP is enabled in SQL Config. It's a registered install, not SQL Express.

I can connect using Query Analyzer and run queries OK - is there anything else I can look at to try and find out why SQL Compare will not connect OK?

Thanks in advance
Howard

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Howard,

Is this an 'internal connection fatal error'?
  • Options
    The error I get is:

General Network error. Check your network documentation.

Interestingly if I am on the local network and not the VPN, it does work, so it is something to do with either the network or remote connections to SQL 2005.

I am assured by the network guys that all ports are open to the target machine, but does SQL Compare use multiple ports other than 1433? I'm confused that entering the IP address for the server allows me to show databases, but using TCP:<ip address> will not even return a list of databases.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks Howard
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Howard,

SQL Data Compare uses TCP port 1433. If it doesn't work with the TCP: preamble as part of the server name, then I can only assume that TCP is not enabled on the SQL Server. You may want to check your configuration manager to make sure that TCP is enabled.