SQLCompare 13.8 command line throws an exception

Below error is logged into eventview? any idea what may be causing it?
Application: sqlcompare.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
   at System.IO.Pipes.NamedPipeClientStream.Connect(Int32)
   at RedGate.Ipc.NamedPipes.NamedPipeEndpointClient.Connect(Int32)
   at RedGate.Ipc.Rpc.RpcConnectionProvider.TryGetConnection(System.TimeSpan)
   at RedGate.Ipc.ReconnectingConnectionProvider.ReconnectionWorker()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Tagged:

Answers

• Hard to say, it looks like this happens when connecting to a SQL Server instance, do you get any errors when using the tool?
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools
  • Yes we are comparing a SQL server to a snapshot.  The GUI tool works fine and we can also run the same process manually and that works as well.  This crash only happens when it's kicked off by our automated build process, which uses a service user account which is an administrator on the machine.  I enabled log generation and put it below, looks like it happens almost immediately just after the command line arguments are printed.

20:29:33.147|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |Argument /filter has value <redacted>
    20:29:33.147|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |Argument /snapshot1 has value <redacted>
    20:29:33.147|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |Argument /server2 has value <redacted>
    20:29:33.147|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |Argument /database2 has value <redacted>
    20:29:33.163|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |Argument /report has value <redacted>
    20:29:33.163|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |Argument /reporttype has value 'Interactive'
    20:29:33.163|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |Argument /scriptfile has value <redacted>
    20:29:33.163|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |Argument /force has value 'True'
    20:29:33.163|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |Argument /verbose has value 'True'
    20:29:33.163|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |Argument /options has value 'DecryptPost2kEncryptedObjects;IgnoreFillFactor;IgnoreWhiteSpace;IgnoreFileGroups;IgnoreUserProperties;IgnoreWithElementOrder;IgnoreDatabaseAndServerName;IgnorePermissions;IgnoreUsersPermissionsAndRoleMemberships;IgnoreSquareBrackets'
    20:29:33.163|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |Argument /include has value 'Identical'
    20:29:33.163|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |Argument /logLevel has value 'Verbose'
    20:29:33.163|Verbose|Command Line        |1  |

• That explains it: you can't use the SQL Compare Pro command-line tool in automated processes, you need to use the SQL Change Automation command line for that.
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • tprudencetprudence Posts: 5 New member

Thanks Sergio!  I did get it working by installing the SQL Compare Automation Powershell component of the SQL Toolbelt and then launching SQLCompare.exe from that path.  It appears that this is the only component we need on our build server and I can remove full version of SQL Compare (and free that license for a developer).'

Might want to work on that error message :)

• tprudencetprudence Posts: 5 New member
    Sergio, How can we download previous versions of SQL Toolbelt?  I got it working by installing latest version of the Toolbelt but it's on trial.  I tried activating the license but it won't work with this latest version.  Looks like I need to install a previous version but the FTP site doesn't seem to be working.
  • You should be able to login to your account here: https://www.red-gate.com/Dynamic/Auth/Login and download previous versions that way
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd