How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

How can I get a more precise long running query start time?

I am researching a high resource usage event from yesterday and wanted to get a handle on which event came first. I have long running queries on one instance and deadlocks on another instance. Within the deadlock, you can get very precise times. However, the long running query displays a start time that only goes to the minute in precision. Is it possible to display anything more precise than that for the long running query star time (at least show seconds)?
Tagged:

Answers

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @slimshaky,

We collect everything as ticks and doing a quick check on the CollectionDate column for the [Cluster_SqlServer_TopQueries_UnstableSamples] using the TicksToDateTime function looks like we have the data down to the hundredth of a second so it may just be that we need to change the display to display the further digits.  I'm going to check with the team to see if there is a reason we can't or are not doing this and whether it's straightforward to fix or not and I'll come back to you.

Kind regards,
    Alex 
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @slimshaky,

This was a very small and straightforward change to add this for the Long-running query alert, so it's been made and, pending review, should be available in the next release!

Kind regards,
    Alex

• slimshakyslimshaky Posts: 13 Bronze 1
    Thanks for your help.
  • Hi @slimshaky,

There should now be the more precise timings for the Long-running query alerts in SQL Monitor version 9.1.3.

Please update to that and let me know if you have any feedback!

Kind regards,
    Alex