Feature Request - refactor adding/delete columns to a table

monkeygrindmonkeygrind Posts: 40
The Smart Rename is really handy, but only takes into account renaming columns. What would be great on a future release is for it to handle dropping, adding, or changing the data type of a column.

Comments

• The Smart Rename is really handy, but only takes into account renaming columns. What would be great on a future release is for it to handle dropping, adding, or changing the data type of a column.

This is indeed a good idea and we will consider it in future releases.

Many thanks,
    Andras
    András Belokosztolszki, PhD
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • I agree, this would be a fantastic addition.
  • yes, i just wanted to voice my opinion..

column adding and dropping (w/ dependencies) would be HUGE...

we have about 70 tables we are trying to refactor (roughly 700 sprocs)..the split function doesn't quite fit what we need (close, but no cigar)..

we are splitting the tables into parent/child with child containing localization information (relationship to cultures table)..we don't want the existing stored procs to join the child tables (ie..no join) and the tool doesnt have a drop column refactoring (which was a workaround we thought of)
  • I think it would significantly increase the usefulness of this product if the addition/deletion/modification of columns with dependencies was supported. The rename feature is extremely useful, but only hints at the potential for this product.