What happened to all the project settings?

I know you guys are all Powershell happy right now, because of the current industry drive to return us all to 1991, but what happened to all the project properties?  In particular, the ability to alter the execution order?

I have two Table Valued Functions.  One is Called OutboundGrid, the other is called OutboundSummary.  OutboundGrid USES OutboundSummary, but because of the "default" order, deployment fails because OutboundSummary does not exist yet when the script for OutboundGrid is run.

I used to be able to handle this by manipulating the execution order in the project properties, but that is gone.

I got around it for now by creating both in a manual migration script, so they can both get created.  That is not a fix, however, it just gets me by.  If I decide to add a column to OutboundSummary, and add that same column to OutboundGrid, I will have that issue again.

I can't find any documentation on how to handle this now.  In fact, I can't find any documentation regarding removing the properties in the Visual Studio plug-in...  I suspect it has something with getting rid of the "core" version, and the Powershell extensions, but still, if there is documentation about it, you've hidden it well.

Thanks, Greg
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Sergio RSergio R Posts: 610 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Greg,

I assume you are referring to <DeployChangesExecutionOrder> in the project file?

If that's the case, that still exists.

Kind Regards,

Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools
  • gregfiggregfig Posts: 27 Bronze 2
    Sergio,

Yes, I am referring to <DeployChangesExecutionOrder> in the project file.  Are we supposed to now manually edit the project file to manipulate this?  Because I've tried that and it didn't work, probably because of the unique id associated to files in that list.

To be clear, The project properties page has had all of its settings removed and replaced with the following message:

"We recommend building and deploying SQL Change Automation projects using the SQL Change Automation PowerShell components.  Please note that this is not available in SQL Change Automation Core Edition."

Note, I do NOT have the core edition of the plugin installed.

Thanks, Greg
  • Hi Greg,

That should still be available through the UI as well, can you check if your license is showing as activated?

Kind Regards,
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools
    Hi Sergio,

It appears to be activated.  It doesn't actually say "activated", but...

Here is the properties page of one of my projects.  When you open it, it looks like the properties actually begin to load, but then don't, like something is blocking them. (Changing the Target platform makes no difference either).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Greg
  • Hi Greg, the feature is still available in the latest SCA. The deployment order can be changed using the project settings UI, but it's true that the feature is not currently documented on our website.

We don't know why the project settings do not load correctly for your project unfortunately.

What version of Visual Studio are you using? Could you please provide a copy of the project? And whilst I realise its a pain, could you create an SCA project from scratch and check if the project settings page show all the options?
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
    Russell,

I've attached a brand new project, and it has the same problem... no settings.  I think this might be a problem in Visual Studio 2019.  This is the first time I've needed to manipulate the settings since upgrading to VS 2019.  I'm not entirely sure because I no longer have VS 2017 installed.  I'm currently on VS 2019 16.2.1.

On a side note, I'm getting REALLY tired of being prompted to update "SQL Change Automate Core".  I read on your site (though I can't currently find it) that we should ignore these updates for "Core".  I wish you guys would fix this.

Thanks, Greg

• Thanks Greg, I'm digging into this, and will also pass on those frustrations.
  • Hi Greg, it's a long shot but can you confirm the version you're on? We still can't reproduce this locally using Visual Studio 16.2.2 at least.
    Russell,

Here is a nice big screen shot showing the issue and confirming the Visual Studio version is 16.2.2...

Thanks, Greg
    Russell,

I went through the hassle of re-installing Visual Studio 2017.  Oddly enough, the settings appear properly in this version (using the same test project)...

Russell,

To make sure that my system is not somehow the issue, I did a clean install of Visual Studio 16.2.2 and the Toolbox (SQL Change Automation only) on two other systems.  Using the test project, the same issue occurs.  

Thanks, Greg
  • Sorry for all the hassle - at this stage we're stumped but I'll see if any of my colleagues have any other ideas.
    Russell,

I am doing more testing, but it's taking time.  (I forgot) we have some automation scripts that install some extensions for Visual Studio after installing VS.  I'm removing these one at a time to see if any of them are interfering.  The problem I have is that these same extensions install on VS 2017, and I don't have the issue.

Also, when you open the properties page, it "looks" like the properties try to load (it flashes), and then get blocked.  I just don't get what that could be.

Thanks, Greg
  • Hello @gregfig,

Thanks for your patience on this one. I was finally able to reproduce the issue on my end. Looking further into this with the developers to find the root cause.

Kind regards,

Pete Ruiz

Pete,

Thank you.  I'm glad you are finally able to reproduce.  I can't find any way to prevent it.  I even went so far as trying to install Visual Studio 2019 Enterprise  on a clean machine (even though I don't have a license for it) to see if that had anything to do with it, but of course, it did not.

Thanks Greg
  • Hello @gregfig ,

Looks like our developers have also been able to reproduce the issue for it locally so we've logged a bug reference for it under SCA-2642 in our internal tracking system.

I will keep you posted as we make progress on this issue. Thanks again for your patience on this one.

Kind regards,

Pete Ruiz

Just to keep this thread updated.  The release of SQL Change Automation 4.0 has not resolved the issue.
  • Hi @gregfig sorry, I've been on annual leave. Nothing useful to add, just glad to hear this has (finally) been resolved for you.