Error "Unknown error" on OleDbConnection

Uwe KeimUwe Keim Posts: 46 Bronze 3
edited August 1, 2019 9:49AM in ANTS Performance Profiler
When running my WinForms , 32 bit.NET 4.5.2 application inside ANTS Performance Profiler 10.1.7, as soon as an OleDB connection to a Microsoft Access MDB is being opened, an OleDbException error is being rised:

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException

-----------------

"Unknown error"

-----------------

at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString constr, OleDbConnection connection)
   at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
   bei System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
   bei System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
   bei System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
   bei System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
When running normally without your profiler on in another profiler (like that from JetBrains), no OleDbException occurs.

I'm using German 64 bit Windows 10 with latest updates and 1903 update.

My question:

How can I use your profiler even when having OleDB operations in my application.

(Note that this did work approx. until half a year ago correctly).
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Uwe KeimUwe Keim Posts: 46 Bronze 3
    Damn it, I also cannot reproduce it anymore :/.

Yesterday I updated to latest VS 2019 (16.2.1), maybe there was an issue in a previous compiler version that produced "strange" code and thus lead to the error?

Anyway, I hope it stays working now, if not, I'll post here again. Thanks for your help, Jessica!

Answers

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thanks for your post and so sorry for this issue you're running into!

I'm able to reproduce it and it seems the profiler is affecting the login somehow. (The underlying error is System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "x" requested by the login. The login failed.)

I am looking into this and will post here once I have an update.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Hi @Uwe Keim,

I'm so sorry, I've realized I'm not actually able to reproduce this (I had just made a mistake on my end which was causing a different issue!).

Can I just check, does the error remain if you use Sampling mode of profiling?

And do you see any additional error details in Event Viewer>Windows log>Application?

What .NET Framework(s) do you have turned on/installed?

I've just got a crash of ANTS Performance Profiler, resulting in a "Report Error" message box (which I submitted).

Event log has this:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: producer-core.exe, Version: 15.1.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5d4bc4f5
    Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: RedGate.Profiler.Core.dll, Version: 10.1.8.1426, Zeitstempel: 0x5d42a4d0
    Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
    Fehleroffset: 0x00073d65
    ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x45fc
    Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d54db53cd110a6
    Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\P\ZP\15.1\ZetaProducerMain\Bin\Applications\producer-core.exe
    Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\PROGRA~1\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 10\RedGate.Profiler.Core.dll
    Berichtskennung: d27df40e-7bed-415c-b718-4900b11c3be2
    Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: 
    Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: 

And this:

Anwendung: producer-core.exe
    Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319
    Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund einer unbehandelten Ausnahme beendet.
    Ausnahmeinformationen: Ausnahmecode c0000005, Ausnahmeadresse 10073D65

Don't know if this is related, but still you product seems to be very unstable to me, compared to other tools like dotTrace. 

Still, ANTS Performance Profiler has the very best UI among all similar tools, so I would love to have a stable version one day.
    Oh no, I'm so sorry another issue has come up! :/

Does the crash happen consistently?

As the error happens in the profiler core which is unmanaged, the error report unfortunately doesn't have much detail for us.

Would it be possible for you to share a dump file with us to take a deeper look into what's going wrong? (I can send you the details on how to do this if so.)

Sure, I would love to share a dump file.

The error only happens every now and then.

Thank you, @Uwe Keim!

The next time the crash occurs, please:

• Leave the error window up so that the application process, producer-core.exe, is still running
    • If producer-core.exe runs as 32-bit, open 32-bit Task Manager from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\taskmgr.exe
    • If it's 64-bit, you can just open Task Manager normally by right-clicking on the task and choosing "Task Manager"
    • In Task Manager, locate your application process producer-core.exe in the list of running processes
    • Right-click on it and choose "create dump file"

Since the .dmp file may be quite large, I'll make a link for you to upload to and will send it shortly via the ticket we've opened for you (#143604).

If you can also let us know about the profiling mode used, the options set, and the action leading up to the crash, it would be much appreciated!