Options

SQL Prompt for SSMS 18.0?

Now that SSMS 18.0 is live / released, I presume SQL Prompt will have an update that supports it...soon?
https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2019/04/24/sql-server-management-studio-ssms-18-0-released-for-general-availability/
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    GlebbyGlebby Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    edited April 28, 2019 7:44PM
    I have SSMS 17.9 with SQLPrompt, recently installed SSMS 18 side by side. However, after I run Toolbelt upgrade to 9.5, only Prompt at SSMS 17.9 is upgraded, SSMS 18 does not show Prompt.  Moreover, Toolbelt installer does not recognize that Prompt 9.5 is installed and suggests to install it again.
  • Options
    It's not always possible to update the bundle installers at the same time, try the standalone installer through Check for Updates (https://download.red-gate.com/checkforupdates/SQLPrompt/SQLPrompt_9.5.0.9311.exe).

Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    GlebbyGlebby Posts: 4 Bronze 1
    The same issue with the stand-alone installer.
  • Options
    bwilliams4bwilliams4 Posts: 1 New member
    edited April 29, 2019 5:37PM
    I have the same issue.
    With both SSMS 17.9.1 (14.0.17289.0) and SSMS 18 (15.0.18118.0) with both Toolbelt installer and SQL Prompt 9.5.0.9311 installer I only see the Menu Option and "SQL Tab" toolbar in SSMS 17.9.1 and not in SSMS 18. I used "SSMS Only" in the install and I was not prompted as to which versions of SSMS I wanted to install/update.
  • Options
    GregDoddGregDodd Posts: 12 Bronze 2
    Not sure if this is the same problem, but I did the upgrade to 9.5 before installing SSMS 18, I now have no way of installing it into SSMS 18 as the installer detects that it's already installed. I guess I have to uninstall first?
  • Options
    RTSJohnRTSJohn Posts: 7 Bronze 1
    I noticed after I had installed SSMS 18.0, then restarted my laptop, a lengthy process of updating SSMS happened on the next boot, during which time it was not possible to run the installer or uninstaller for SQL Prompt.  Once this update completed, I launched SSMS 18.0 and found SQL Prompt installed and partially working (the previous version, which was still installed).  Then I closed that SSMS session, opened my 17.9.1 session and allowed SQL Prompt to update to the latest version.  Now I have SQL Prompt 9.5 working in both SSMS 17.9.1 and 18.0.  It's a little strange for SSMS to choose to install to separate directory by default now, and I suspect that's part of the problem most folks here are experiencing.
  • Options
    Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    edited April 30, 2019 8:28AM
    GregDodd said:
    Not sure if this is the same problem, but I did the upgrade to 9.5 before installing SSMS 18, I now have no way of installing it into SSMS 18 as the installer detects that it's already installed. I guess I have to uninstall first?
    I would say so yes, unfortunately. Microsoft changed a number of things with SSMS18 and unfortunately some of them were unexpected.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    krshortkrshort Posts: 12 Bronze 1
    It would appear that I'm not alone in trying to get SQL Prompt installed on SSMS 18.   Is there a 'graceful' way to do this?   I've gone so far as to uninstall SSMS 17, reboot, reinstall SQL Prompt.   It still does not show up in SSMS 18.   Any suggestions appreciated.

UPDATE:  I was able to finally get SQL Prompt installed in SSMS 18 by following the instructions at the bottom of this link, then re-installing SQL Prompt using the latest download of Toolbelt.
    https://productsupport.red-gate.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003503274-SQL-Prompt-SQL-Search-SQL-Source-Control-or-SQL-Test-doesn-t-appear-in-SSMS?flash_digest=df9a29904a11c6a13cb146d9c4703cd829151326