How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

Alter Inbox: Filtering alerts by click on monitored servers tree shows no alerts

Hi
I have 3 groups with 4 servers. In the alert inbox on the left side is a tree which shows the number of alerts . 
like this:

MONITORED SERVERS
-> All Servers (9)
  -> Group1 (6)
      -> Server1 (6)
  -> Group2 (3)
      -> Server2
      -> Server3 (3)

When i click on an item, I thought that this item filters only the corresponding alerts. But this seems not to be correct. 
I can only see alerts on the top level of the tree: "All Servers" Do I click on a group, or a specitic server, I don't get any. 

This behaviour is the same for all Filters which I can select over the Filter Combobox.

Jürgen

Tagged:

Best Answer

• bauerjubauerju Posts: 33 Bronze 3
    Hi Alex B
    It now works. It was a problem with transfering the database from an 2017 express instance to an older 2012 standard server. 
    I scripted without respecting collation...Now I created a new database with the setup and it works as espected.

Answers

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @bauerju,

The number in parentheses represents the number of unread alerts in that level of the hierarchy, so in your example, at the "All Servers" level there are 9 unread alerts and we can see that drilling down all the way, these are located at Server1 with 6 unread alerts and Server3 with 3 unread alerts.  

Taking an example from https://monitor.red-gate.com:

You can see here that of the 16,476 unread for "All Servers" there are 24 unread at the sm-dc1 level, and you can see at the right side that 12 of those are "Machine unreachable" and 12 are "Monitoring error (host machine data collection" errors.

If I then click onto the 1 - Production level, I can see those same groups of alerts included at this level, because the group encompasses those alerts as well:

I hope that helps clarify!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • bauerjubauerju Posts: 33 Bronze 3
    Hi Alex B
    This is what I should see. My problem is:
    I always get the message "No alert groups match your current filter settings." instead of the alerts.

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @bauerju,

Ah, righto, the collation does matter in some cases for ordering behind the scenes in SQL Monitor and can have odd effects if it's changed for some tables.

Thanks for letting us know!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?